Wednesday, January 30, 2008

[08.01.30][news] Andy's solo challenge: Never had singing parts in Shinhwa before

Shinhwa rapper Andy Lee Seonho (27), has never had any vocal solo parts in Shinhwa before.

Besides doing a cover of Lee Sang Woo's '100 Metres Away From Her' in Shinhwa's 2004 Winter Story album, he only takes on rapping parts. He is barely heard even when the members sing together in chorus.

Andy said, "I want to show that I can sing too, that's why in the year of Shinhwa's 10th anniversary, I decided to make my solo debut. After I set up my own agency in Feb 07, I wanted to undergo more training. For 8 months, I underwent lessons on breathing, pronunciation and revised other vocal techniques."

In his first album "Andy the First NEW DREAM", though fellow Shinhwa members Eric, Kim Dongwan, Lee Minwoo and other friends put in outstanding contributions, but Andy's efforts in his music can be seen by all. The album features his main track 'Love Song', the collaboration with Chae Yeon 'Timing', the memorable 'Lies' and 'Hope After Hope'. Andy expressed, "Shedding off the Shinhwa image and stepping out as a solo singer makes me very nervous, but it also feels like going back to the first page of a diary that I've been writing for a long time."


When asked why he chose to take up a solo career in singing rather than acting, he replied "Through the musical 'Music In My Heart' I learnt many things. I got through it without having the members around, and I relearnt vocal techniques too, that's why I started to think about singing. Since I like dance and music I chose to be a singer, and I want to keep the enthuasiasm I have to realise my dream.

Now 27, Shinhwa's youngest member shares some of his innermost thoughts. "Besides the Shinhwa members, I don't have any friends in the entertainment world that I keep in touch with often. When I go on variety shows, I usually only know Chae Yeon. In the past I've always given people an adorable and lively impression, and people tend to keep a distance from me and stay as just ordinary friends. The "cute baby" image is becoming somewhat of a burden."

"Now I'm at the age where I need to plan my life, I'm already reaching 30. As an artiste there are many obstacles and demands ahead. I've been reading quite a lot of books lately, and I'm not embarrassed reading about myself in the news anymore. I want to live in a more mature and fulfilling way."

Source: Ocean's Six
Chi trans: 庆琳@andy the world
Eng trans: midnightgirl13@shinhwabiz

No comments: