Sunday, October 12, 2008

[08.10.11][trans] M's interview Pt 3: I don't want to stop at being an entertainer



Now that Eric has enlisted for military service on 9th October, Shinhwa has effectively started its 3-4 year hiatus. After holding their 10th anniversary concert in March 2008, the Shinhwa members have all been busy with their solo activities. First to embark on solo activities, Lee Minwoo has also drafted his own blueprint for the future.

Having been active in acting, music, dance, variety and movies, he has also been dabbling in various business ventures. At the moment, he is concentrating on his fashion line, and is preparing for the launch next spring.

On top of this, he aims to realize his ideas in various fields. Dreaming of becoming Korea's Edison since young, he wants to spread Lee Minwoo's "Happy Virus" all around.


You must be feeling sad now that Eric has enlisted.

No, because it's not like we're not seeing each other anymore. That's why we held the 10th anniversary concert, as an event to meet and greet everyone. We will be holding more of such meaningful events in future, we hope everyone will not forget us.


When Shinhwa members reunite in 3-4 years' time, will you be feeling differently about each other?

Well for this, we haven't experienced it before, so we do feel a littled worried. But being good friends, it will still feel like we've just met yesterday even if we're meeting after a few years. I hope everyone will feel the same way when we reunite.

There are no problems between us. The reason why we could have came such a long way is because whenever anyone of us falls behind, the rest of us will pull him along, no matter it's in terms of spirit or monetary issues. As long as there are no major problems in our country, we will reunite for sure. (laughs)


Is there anything you hope to have achieved by the time of your reunion?

I hope that by then I'll have a place in the industry as a recognized musician. It'll be good if the businesses are doing well too. All in all it will be great as long as I can remain as energetic as I am now.


Have you always had in interest in business?

Because I feel that it's my own work, so even if I fail despite my best efforts, I will have no regrets. If I were to rely on others and their help, it will not be something I can be proud of even if it succeeds. I've already tried my hand at ventures such as online shopping malls.

I want to create a brand where people will recognize the brand for what it is, instead of associating the brand with me alone, something along the lines of limited edition products produced in small quantities.


As a producer you must be thinking of grooming younger talents.

I've received a lot of good advice fom Hyun Suk hyung (Yang Hyun Suk of YG Entertainment), and I've been meeting up with other producers as well. I will definitely groom younger talents and impart what I've learnt during my 10 years in the business. I want to be the boss of an artiste management company. (laughs)

Right now I'm the process of casting, and I have my blueprint ready. My goal is to be a younger brother that YG hyung and JYP hyung can be proud of, not just stop at being an entertainer. I hope to have my own line.


You're known for having good relations with a lot of people within showbiz, isn't it?

I'm not lonely I guess, I get along with anyone. I said before I value relationships. (laughs)


What kind of reviews do you hope to hear from the critics?

I'm happy that I've received good reviews. I've worked for this to satisfy myself, and it's great that I've received good reviews.

For this album, on top of the title track, I hope when people listen to the entire album, they would be thinking, "Lee Minwoo makes music like this", and pay attention to the album. Everything in the album is very real, and it contains songs that I've written and arranged."

The song I 'M' U came about during a ride in Hyun Do hyung's car. He let me listen to the accompaniment, and we were singing along loudly to it, and that's how I came up with the melody to the song. After that I had fun filling in the lyrics in the studio for an hour.

The music industry is in a slump right now, but as long as our country has people still making music with a passion, the music scene will not remain stagnant or deteroriate. But I can confidently say that I won't make "disposable" music. (music that follows the trend of the moment)


You still seem to have thought a lot about your future already.

Since young I've really liked Edison, and the way he translates his ideas into his inventions. Now I really like designing clothes and accessories, and I'm interested in interior design too. I want to be able to display my ideas in various fields. I'm spreading Lee Minwoo's "Happy Virus" right now. (laughs)


Different from his sometimes moody and quiet image, Lee Minwoo is very chatty and cheerful. Looking only ahead, he has placed his ambition aside for now, and he looks happier than ever. Now it's everyone else's turn to be "infected" with Lee Minwoo's "Happy Virus".


Source: asiaeconomy&oceans
Chi trans: jojoyu7@shinhwachina
Eng trans: midnightgirl13@shinhwabiz

No comments: