Tuesday, April 06, 2010

[10.04.01] Scans: Hyesung in May 2010 issue of Arena magazine (Japan) – updated

Did you have a theme or concept in mind for this original Japanese album {Find voice in song}?
– First of all, besides expressing my usual distinct style, I tried to mix ‘the style of J-POP that the Japanese find easy to listen to’ and my own style, because this is the first album to be released in Japan. The music anyone can easily listen to is my theme or concept.

For example..what is your own distinct style?
– Difficult question (laughs).. Umm..in Korea I have been a ballad singer so K-pop is what I call my own style. As much as I am the popular singer accepted by Korean people, I also will be one who will be accepted by Japanese people.

What did you want to express in this album?
– As a singer.. I am not perfect yet.. Naturally I want to let everyone know that I have put in a lot of hard work and effort, and also my sincere heart.

In singing, what are you most careful about and what is the challenge you face as a vocalist?
– I was afraid of being thought as {the singer who is poor at Japanese and singing with strange pronunciation} so.. I was most careful about that. I tried practising my pronunciation many times and making my style, voice and vocalization closer to J-pop.

I see… what is the most difficult Japanese pronunciation for you?
– I have some. {Tsu} is difficult. {Hitotsu (One)} or {tsuyoku (strongly)} are difficult (laughs). {Taisetsu (important)} is difficult too. (laughs)

What is the most memorable song in this album for you? Why?
– The first song {Niji no mukou}. This is the title song but it was very difficult to sing and to express my feelings. At first I didn’t think of using it as the title song but the staff eagerly recommended it.. I listened to it repeatedly and then I found it easy to be accepted by Japanese people, even though I was a little puzzled since it is not close to my usual ballads and difficult for me. Thus it became the title song. I had different images of this song when I listened to it before and after. That’s why it is a very memorable song.

As for lyrics, what is your favorite song?
– {Kotoba ni dekinai}. I thought the Japanese lyrics are poetic and wonderful. The first phrase {Mitsumeau jikannno nami ga teno aidakara
koboreteku..} is very poetic and I like the content of the whole song.

Tell me about the memorable and unforgettable thing for you during recording?
- Nothing but difficult!(laughs) It took a lot of time to complete each song because I concentrated on my Japanese pronunciation and emotion. It is as if I had almost fallen down in each recording. That is my most memorable episode.

Well, compare this album to a color. Why that color?
– White. It is the color representing the beginning and from now on I will paint over the white with my color..so..it is white.

You have visited Japan many times. What is your favorite thing in Japan (place, food, climate.. Japan as a whole)?
– I have come to Tokyo many times. Feeling easy and comfortable. I have visited Sapporo to film a PV before. It has beautiful snowy scenery and there are many places to see. I have good memories of the place. I like almost all of the Japanese food. Now I like the Japanese word {kimi (you=k-de)} best (laughs).

Do you have anything you are addicted to now in your private life?
– I have no time to be addicted to anything.. I’ve been busy preparing for this album, recording, the showcase etc… If I have to say.. I’m addicted to this album (laughs).

{SHIN HYESUNG collection~} was released at the same time as well. Tell me about the album and your most memorable song?
– That is literally my best album. You will know my growth if you listen to this because it has most of my songs including my debut song as a solo artist. My most memorable song is.. my debut song {Same Thought}. It’s very meaningful and special to me.

Lastly, give a message to your fans.
– Thank you for always supporting me despite my flaws and for giving me lots of love. I have released my solo album in Japan. This was made with a lot of time. I will be happy if as many people as possible listen to this album. From now on I will do my best to give you wonderful music. Thank you very much.

Credits: Forever HS
Translation: Sakura@Absolut Shinhwa
Source credit: Absolut Shinhwa

No comments: