Thursday, March 18, 2010

[10.03.13][news] Singer Shin Hyesung’s new challenge – “I still want to grow”

Korean singer Shin Hyesung’s album “Find voice in song”, sung in Japanese has been released. This is the official Japan solo debut work for Shin Hyesung, main vocalist of popular group SHINHWA. Having come to Japan in the last leg of Februray for promotion, I inquired of his thoughts on the new album. (Saitou Tomoko)

–With this time’s album, is there anything you have discovered about yourself?

To me, this was a new challenge. Whenever I am making an album, I am always happy to be singing the songs, however, lately, I felt that this unchartered road is still far, and that I still have lots of room to grow, that there are many portions that are still unsatisfactory. Until now, I have had similar feelings but, as I did various kinds of music, I felt that there are many points about the music that I should also study. I believe it is this kind of album.

–In the song “Over the rainbow” are the lyrics “Someday lets cross the bridge again as friends.” The lyrics are calling to friends you have been separated from, with what kind of image did you sing this?

With this song, I thought of friends who I have not seen for a long time, and felt that I wanted to see them again. Many have said to me, “Right now, Shinhwa is on hiatus, and each member has their own circumstances rendering the group unable to do activities together, and with this song I think of that.” It is the same for me. Right now, we can’t do activities together and are doing individual activities, I think of these members. I recorded while remembering the Shinhwa members, or my own friends who I have not been able to meet.

–In the same song “Over the rainbow,” there are also the lyrics “It won’t change, my feelings will always be the same.” On the other hand, Hyesung is always making new challenges. What are the things you want to change from now on, and the things you don’t want to change?

The things I want to change, in terms of music I would like to further broaden my own volume and breadth. Of course, I am a singer who concentrates on ballads, but I cannot solely sing ballads. I would like to sing a great variety of music, those which suit me, and those which I can present well. I would like to widen my musical breadth, my spectrum, so to speak.

I have been in the industry for 12 years now, but from now on it will be a longer interval, and I will continue singing. Thus, the relation between those who are listening closely to my songs, I woul like that to continue and not change.

–When you were working on the album, was there any phrase or word in Japanese that you particularly liked, or felt it was beautiful?

In this album, there is a song called “Galaxy (Ginga),” I think the title word, “ginga” is very pretty.

Born in November of 1979. The main vocal of Korea’s 6-member popular group Shinhwa which debuted in 98. As the 5 members excluding Hyesung are currently serving in the military, group activities as Shinhwa are currently on stopped.


credit trans: soratino @ biz
original text: http://www.asahi.com/showbiz/music/TKY201003130166.html

No comments: