Wednesday, November 18, 2009

[09.11.15] ‘Single Man’ of 8 years Andy: OK to a celeb girlfriend (2/3)



Back after 1 year and 10 months with his 2nd solo album is singer Andy. Who made his debut with 6-member group Shinhwa in 1998 and has spent 12 years in showbiz without realizing it. But it’s only after I meet him in person that I realize that he is still shy in front of the camera despite being in showbiz for so long, but he is still a fine young man of Korea who is clear about his goals and steadily moving towards them.

He does have his sore spots too. Having been single for the past 8 years, he has indirectly expressed his current situation with his new album ‘Single Man’. “Though everyone finds it unbelievable but it’s true that I haven’t had a girlfriend for the past 8 years. I’m not proud about it, it’s just that I’ve been so caught up in my work that I haven’t been able to date. Don’t they always say ‘it will come someday’, really… You can laugh but just wait and see, it can happen any moment.”

Though others continue to date even though they’re busy, Andy doesn’t have much time left after he spends most of it on work, and he’s used to it. “I’ve done a lot these 2 years. I’ve been busy with the musicals, the album, the drama and then the new album. This album comes 1 year and 10 months since the first one, and in between many things have taken place. Time really flies.”

It seems like it wouldn’t be right if I don’t try to arrange (?) something. So I ask him, what type of girls does he like? Andy candidly admits that he is OK with dating a celebrity.

“Having someone who’s in the same line, I may be able to get a lot of encouragement. If it isn’t someone from the entertainment industry, it may get a little tough. Working days aren’t fixed, time is tight and schedules are erratic, and it’s not something that someone with a 9-to-5 job can easily understand.”

Not just about love, but Andy also has his own views about marriage. “Early on in the relationship she may say she understands, but most likely she won’t be able to keep thinking that way eventually. Of course everyone knows that to maintain a relationship, we need to work hard at communication, but anyway. When my elder sister got married I wanted to quickly get married because of my parents too.”





Men around 30 all seem to wish to get married. If that’s the case, does ‘Single Man’ Andy identify with the lyrics of his title track?

“Honestly, not really. Haha. But I don’t want to think like the typical single. For example, if I go on a blind date, rather than to prepare to meet ‘the one’, maybe I should think of getting to know the other person better instead? On some levels the lives of singles are about the same.”

At this point I’m getting curious about Andy’s daily life. Having worked so long in the entertainment industry he has many celeb friends, but when he has time he still makes an effort to meet his non-showbiz friends. “I often meet up with them to do regular things. We go to the roadside stalls at Hongdae too. Usually we like to look for places with good food, and if we meet at somebody’s home we’d prepare a nice meal, play games like voice impersonation and share interesting stories.”

“Being a entertainer is just a job. On stage, we’re set up to look good, outside of this when I’m with my friends I just want to live like a regular person. Although I’ve been to many expensive places, but compared to that, having a beer at a convenience store, that’s a really great way to live.” It’s easy to see why fans say that he makes people feel comfortable.

Amidst the ordinary, he has led an extraordinary 10 years and has reached the age of 30. At this age where it’s time to decide his future path, though unlike others Andy doesn’t need to worry about results or finding work, just like always he is dashing towards his goals. “I don’t think I’m that different when I look at my friends. It seems that the most important thing is the goal. To persevere and work towards a new goal that I set for myself or to stay put, I’ll choose to work towards my goal.”

During an interview 10 years ago when he was younger, he was asked about how he would be 10 years later. “The members would all be married and have a kid or two, and we’d still be releasing albums.”

10 years on, the same question is being asked again. “10 years from now? Ei, I should be married by then.” (laughs)

Credits: Newsen + Absolut Shinhwa

No comments: