Friday, July 28, 2006

M's Interview with Screen - August 2006





In the beginning, it was Shinhwa. As one of the top group’s members, Lee Minwoo has announced that he is going to enter the film industry. But this isn’t something that happened out of the blue, while listening to his talks about life in front of the camera, it’s more about waiting than wanting.

Little Giant Wipes His Tears

Part-time Actor, Full-time Singer, it’s not uncommon. As Shinhwa’s Eric and Kim Dongwan has become noticed by their acting, it comes the news of Minwoo starring in “Wontak Angels”. Some could not help but think he was only joking. But like turning a new page, Lee Minwoo’s ability on screen can be judged. At the screening interview of the movie, what the director said created a sense of anticipation from the audience. After watching Lee Minwoo’s acting, both the director and the crew were in tears. As a Shinhwa member, as M, for Minwoo, this is the birth of a new actor.

“At that point, when I heard the director’s compliments, I was really shocked. Stress was slightly relieved (laugh). I thank them for picking me. Although I’ve appeared on comedy sitcoms before, but putting feelings into acting is a first for me. Given the situation, how should I drown in what sort of feeling? As I think about the person I want to create, how painful and hurt he should be, my tears begin to fall. Don’t use the brain, let the heart follow the words of the director. When the director is unhappy with the shot, he would cry, “Why are you using your brain now!?” At that point, I would take a short break and find myself again. When I stand before the camera again, I feel that I have changed.”

The method of following the heart is not an answer, but it is very close to the question. When speaking or listening, simply prepare an answer. When he actually does it, it’s sometimes very random. Walking on the right path, no matter how, there’s only himself whom he can depend on. That’s why it’s important to be keen and sharp.

“Being a singer has helped me. In my albums, there are songs that I sing when I’m happy, ones that I sing when I’m sad, ones that give my confidence, there are many feelings in the songs. On the stage, I am used to putting my feelings into my work.”

In the recent M concert, the stage and the background was matched perfectly. It’s not just singing, everytime when a song changes, the image that appears and the colours will change. In one song, Lee Minwoo is a boxer preparing for a battle, in another he is a passionate lover. The setting and the story of the stage, and the dance choreography appears even more like artists. That concert’s music is expressed by body language and narration. It is both a performance and an act.

“A concert is a combination of visual and audio. To express the energy of music, visuals are emphasized. On the stage, I wasn’t only moving to the music, but the music was also moving with me. Sometimes, I play with music.”

Because of passion, he has been in the showbiz for 9 years. “We are Shinhwa!” is their honest greeting, and also reminds themselves that they are no longer the 6 unknown teenagers, but superstars. It also marks the beginning of adulthood. To Lee Minwoo, these 9 years have been very special. It told him the punishments of life and the pain of love. As he got used to the camera, he became very quiet in front of people while being happy and crazy on stage at one point.

Source:ocean6
Korean - Chinese Translations:心里有鬼@bestshinhwa中文网
Chinese - English Translations: la vifzetta* at s-shinhwasarang.net
photos scanned by n!kk! of s-shinhwasarang.net

No comments: