Thursday, January 10, 2008

[08.01.09][trans] Brokore - Dongwan: Shinhwa runs in my blood, I want to keep singing


Kim Dongwan, a member of Shinhwa, Korea's No. 1 group - who will be celebrating their 10th anniversary this coming March - held his solo fanmeeting on 11 Dec after the Shinhwa concert in Tokyo. After the fanmeeting, Dongwan kindly did an interview with us.


Dongwan only slept 1 hour as he was nervous about the fanmeeting, and when we asked him "Is it ok to ask a few questions?", he replied "I'm almost dying" with a warm smile on his face.


Q: You're the only Shinhwa member to have a solo fanclub, is that right?DW: You can say that, but the other members had their own solo concerts too. I want to have a solo concert, but I haven't had the time to prepare for one.


Q: You sang a lot of ballads in your solo album.
DW: I said it during the fanmeeting too, I appreciate natural voices, without any additional sounds from machines. I watched this Irish movie called "Once" in Korea, and totally agree that music is also a language in itself. I'd like to produce an album that has the function of a language.




Q: And that is the reason behind your solo efforts?
DW: That's a different desire from the desire I have when I'm part of Shinhwa. There are always differences in terms of music and the way I express my music when I work on my solo or with Shinhwa


Q: What about your acting activities?
DW: Right now I'm in a situation where I'm short of materials. I often need to meet all kinds of people, drink, fall in love, quarrel, in order to be able to act, but I'm not in this state of mind at all right now.




Q: How was today's fanmeeting?
DW: The atmosphere was great, but it was a pity that I was so nervous and made many mistakes. There was a letter from a fan that wrote, "Although why that person is sad has nothing to do with me, but he saved me." I should work even harder after hearing that.


Q: You played "If I Ain't Got You" on the piano today, do you intend to release any piano recordings?
DW: I'm not at that level yet, but I'd like to work hard in this area, and start writing songs too.


Q: You talked about living in Japan for half a year after your army stint during the fanmeeting just now?
DW: That may still change (laughs). I want to continue learning Japanese, and I think that learning it in Japan will help me to use it more naturally and fluently. Also, I like Japanese movies a lot. When I come to Japan, I will practice my Japanese while going about my performances. If I were to stay in Japan, I probably wouldn't pick Tokyo. I prefer the mountains to the sea. Although I had some unhappy memories when I was climbing Mt Fuji, because it was raining heavily (laughs)


The next part of the interview will be published in Issue 15 of Brokore magazine.


Source: news.brokore.com
Chi trans: 淘气的橙子by万有引力(www.kimdongwan.cn)
Eng trans: midnightgirl13@shinhwabiz

1 comment:

shinhwa4ever said...

"Shinhwa runs in my blood" Well said wannie~~~

Shinhwa~~~ you are my destiny ^o^