Friday, January 25, 2008

[08.01.23][news] Andy: I used practices to fill the loneliness without Shinhwa


"I filled the loneliness without Shinhwa with practices."

Shinhwa member Andy, who released his first solo album "ANDY the first New Dream" on Jan 18, expressed this sentiment in an interview on 23 Jan.

At the series of concerts that started on 18 Jan, he finally held his last show, and Andy expressed his nervous and emotional state of mind about the album and concert at the pre-concert press conference.

Having released his first solo album 10 years after his debut with Shinhwa, Andy said "I released the album only with the help and concern of many people. The important thing is to express my gratitude to the people around me and to the fans."

The presale concert tickets were sold out within 5 minutes, which is an amazing feat. Andy commented, "It was really an unexpected result. Actually I thought if the tickets didn't sell, I'd just buy them all myself, looks like there isn't a need to now." The audience broke into laughter at his comment. He added, "I have only the fans to thank for this."

Andy said, "The first live performance was really nervewrecking for me. I take on only rap parts with Shinhwa, and people have also said before that they didn't think I could sing. Perhaps it's because I've been singing ballads, so my singing skills have improved. I even imagine myself to be the lead singer of Shinhwa.... But Hyesung hyung sings really well, I'd be dreaming if I really thought like that. I should be ranked #5 among the members, just better than Eric hyung." Everyone present laughed at his last comment.

Having always been part of Shinhwa when he's on stage, it's naturally uncomfortable for Andy to be holding a concert alone. Andy expressed this thought about his solo activities, "Although I feel lonely, and like when I don't prepare the ending ment properly, I have to react to the situation by myself. I've been through lots of practice and frustration, just to show everyone how much I've improved."

In addition, Andy received messages from the other 5 members, saying that "Tomorrow's your last show, do it well". He said to this, "They don't usually send messages like these, looks like they got drunk last night", to which the audience laughed again. "24 March is the 10th anniversary of Shinhwa, we'll definitely hold a very meaningful concert", proving his dedication and love for Shinhwa.


◇Andy's Q&A session

# What are your thoughts about releasing a solo album 10 years after your debut?

- I've put in a lot of effort and practice, but I still feel that I have much room for improvement after listening to the recording. The fans though are really satisfied with it. In future I will show everyone my improvement.


# Please introduce your album a little

- Many people were thinking, would Andy really release an album? I gained a lot of confidence after appearing in the musical in 2007, and I did lots of vocal practices. I really learnt a lot then, and I thought it's time to release an album where I can try different styles.


# Duets with other singers?

- Firstly, Shinhwa members helped out, then Chae Yeon, Byul and other musicians also helped out. The success of my album must be credited to them.


# The reason for performing at a small venue?

- I'm attracted to small venues because of the musical. I can breathe along with the fans, and that makes me feel really happy. So when I had a discussion with the company, we decided on a small venue. Although I'm really nervous when I make eye contact with the fans, but I feel happy and contented at the same time. If I had the same programme for all 6 days it would be very boring. So I had a different theme for each day according to the colors of the rainbow and show different sides of me.


# How do you feel about selling out the tickets within 5 minutes?

- Ecstatic, it was completely unexpected. I was still worried if no one turned up I'd buy the tickets myself. Just like the theme of the concert, it was a miracle.


# The members came to celebrate your birthday with you on the 21st?

- I'm really grateful for the members who turned up to celebrate with me. After they watched the show they all left me very encouraging messages. The strange thing is that I'd get nervous if the members turned up. I wanted to perform confidently, but I still made lots of mistakes. But the members' words of encouragement, saying that they could feel that I'm really working hard, that gave me strength.


# How do you rank yourselves in terms of popularity in Shinhwa?

- I really feel I'm #6 in terms of popularity. I'm the last one that fans ask autographs from. (laughs)


# What are the upcoming plans for your solo activities?

- After the concert ends, I'll start the programme appearances. Although I'm nervous about that, but after 6 days of the concert I think I can do it well. There are plans for an overseas concert too. 24 March is the 10th anniversary of Shinhwa, and the 10th anniversary concert is going to a very important and meaningful concert. Please look forward to it.


Source: newsen&mydaily
Chi trans: 打糕@shinhwachina
Eng trans: midnightgirl13@shinhwabiz

No comments: