Sunday, September 21, 2008

[08.09.18][trans] Shin Hyesung in ecoleLUXE Oct 08: 10 years on, gentle no more


The ballad prince, the gentle prince, the little prince..... These are the terms used to describe him since his debut. 30-year-old Shin Hyesung doesn't want to deny the image that has stuck with him for the past 10 years. No, in fact he acknowledges it. And, more than anyone else, he knows that ballads suit him the most. But he says he wants to try something different, so he chose rock.

"When you talk about rock, people usually associate it with screams and a loud atmosphere, but the type of rock I'm doing is more of Britrock. Although it also belongs to the main genre of rock, it is milder and in a way gentler. So I wasn't too resistant to combining the two genres. If you listen carefully to the sounds, you can feel both rock and ballads merging together.

Shin Hyesung's 3rd album, which will be released in 2 parts, Side 1 and Side 2, sees him actively involved in every part of the album. Besides production, he was also personally involved in the song selection process. Together with Shinhwa's albums, he has already released more than 10 albums to date, but that doesn't diminish his ambitions in any way. In fact, he has become even more ambitious.

"I'm not really fond of single albums. Listening to just one song is a little dull, isn't it? In the past on the day that a CD album was released, you'd see long queues forming outside record stores. That doesn't happen much anymore, which is a shame. Perhaps the anticipation towards the music and the joy of having a good CD album has lessened. That's why for this album I've collected different types of music and photos."

Producing the album in a familiar environment, but with a different approach. The band sessions have also changed a lot. N.E.X.T member Im Hyung Bin (Vink), in particular, has offered a great deal of help. After working with the band, he has developed a greater interest in bands and in the guitar as well.

"After the sessions, I found it really fun to play with a band, and I learnt a lot of things too. I'm not the kind of person who rates myself highly, but I think this album deserves 80 marks. Although I wanted to rate it 50 marks, but with the help from the outstanding musicians who worked on the album, I don't think it's too much to give it 80 marks."

Shin Hyesung's new songs were played during the photoshoot, sometimes grand and sometimes gentle. The album, feauturing jazz, R&B, retro-funk, seems to be a gift filled with his music. You can't stop but want to listen to it over and over again.

He will be releasing Side 2 in December, and it will be back to ballads for him. But this doesn't mean that he has gone back to square one. That's because he has already made the music that he wanted to make. "I've been standing on the stage for 10 years now, but I still find myself thinking that I haven't spent my 10 years fruitfully enough, and I can't really say that I've grown ambitious with my musical aspirations. I can't say that everything is going smooth, because right from producing my own music onwards, I still have lots of room for improvement, and I still have more things I want to do. I want to continue doing it, growing and evolving. That's how this album came about. I hope you will look forward to my growth in future."

He doesn't seem to have any sense of the fatigue and jadedness from the past decade. He says that he's already fortunate to be album to make the music he wants to make, and that he wants to make the music he likes with more of his friends. At the turning point for Shin Hyesung, his biggest motivation is determination. How about it? Don't you want to know more about the Shin Hyesung who's no longer gentle?






Shin Hyesung, his first adult-concept pictorial

If the headline has sent Shin Hyesung's fans into hysteria, we apologize for that. This is the reason behind why we called it an adult-concept pictorial. We wanted the look of the pictorial to be stronger, and our editor passed a cigarette to Shin Hyesung to use as a prop for the shoot.

Shocked, he kept asking the staff, "Is it really ok?" I told him, "It's fine. Why? It looks cool." The worried voice of his manager came through, "Even so he's still an idol.... it's the first time we're seeing such a concept."

But after he received the reassurance from Shin Hyesung himself, the photo of him smoking a cigarette received the go-ahead to be released through ecoleLUXE. We'd like to thank Team Leader Jung Eun Jin for his help in getting permission for the photo to be released.


Source: kimdongwan.net &oceans
Chi trans: jojoyu7@shinhwachina
Eng trans: midnightgirl13@shinhwabiz

No comments: