Sunday, May 31, 2009

Excerpts from Junjin’s 18th May appearance on SBS 2pm Escape Cultwo Show

DJ: What did your personality use to be like?
JJ: I used to be really lively, to the extent where I was called crazy
I was really really lively, but at that time I experienced those things, as a result my personality changed, and I became quieter.

Although I really hate this change, but from another point of view, those experiences helped me in my life too, that’s how I now live contentedly. I really understood life isn’t easy.

Others often say to me, “You have it going well for you, being a celebrity really makes us envious.” But I don’t really think so. I made my debut when I was still in senior high, and though I went to university I didn’t get to enjoy my campus life, and I don’t get to really hang out with friends.

Some times I’d think about whether I’d be happier if I lived an ordinary life like that instead.


======================================================

DJ: For the next question, pick one of the 4 options. There’s something I’m really bad at:
1. I can’t put faces to names
2. Math, I’m really bad at calculation
3. The food I make is inedible
4. I can’t take a step back

Jin: It’s really #4 for me. There are times when I really should turn back, but I can’t because of my competitive streak. I’ve said before that I’d like to be an athlete if I could live my life all over again, that’s due to my competitive nature too.
Some things can be done simply and casually, but I’ll end up forcing myself and overdo things. Sometimes it helps but sometimes it worsens things. Because of my nature to always want to move forward, I’ve been hurt quite a bit.

DJ: But it seems like the right age to keep on moving forward

Jin: But when I look at my dad, I think I’ll still be like this when I get older (laughs). But I thank my dad for passing on this passion to me.

DJ: Then if you were to pick from the remaining 3 options, how about remembering faces…

Jin: Ah, I’m good at this, I’m good at math too

DJ: What about cooking? Can you cook well?

Jin: Oh I’m not good at that, but… it’s edible (laughs)

DJ: Can your dad cook well?

Jin: Yes, but he doesn’t cook. I’m competitive about things like this too, I’d think that it’s because I haven’t tried it before, if I were to try I’ll do very well

DJ: Then is there anything that you admit that you can’t do?

Jin: Me?… Actually there are quite a lot of things. The sea… I can swim where my feet can touch the ground when I stand up, if I can’t then I can’t bring myself to get into the water. I don’t really like to take the airplane too.

DJ: Then do you swim well? In places where your feet can touch the ground?

Jin: In those places, then I swim well. There was this incident a long time ago, I think it was Love Letter? We had an overseas special and went overseas to film. Singers all have something in common, which is we all have good bodies when we’re resting, but we’ll start losing weight (and the muscles) once we start our activities. At that time I was on a break and my body looked pretty good because I had been working out. At that Jong Kook hyung and the other guys were there too. When we reached the place we all got into the water to swim, and I jumped into the water coolly too. But then I realizes that my feet couldn’t touch the ground and I couldn’t swim anymore, and I yelled for the rest to help me out. It was something that was really not in tandem with my image, but I think it’s normal to be not good at some things too…. I nearly drowned when I was young, after that I really didn’t dare to go into the water.

DJ: I can’t swim even if my feet can touch the ground

Jin: (laughs) I really can’t, I even imagine that sharks might come and bite me

DJ: Then that means diving is out of the question too…

Jin: I trust the oxygen tank… I have a panic disorder, so it’s ok if I trust something, if there’s nothing I can trust, then I can’t do it.

DJ: So it’s ok if you swim in a pool with an oxygen tank strapped on?

Jin: That would work

======================================================

DJ: For the 2nd question – I’ve even done this for love
1. Wrote a love letter to the girl I had a crush on
2. Waited outside the home of the girl I liked
3. Kissed passionately on the streets
4. Searched on the Internet for tips to win her heart

Jin: Uh, #3

DJ: Kissed passionately on the streets, this is after your debut?

Jin: Yes

DJ: Then people might have seen it

Jin: Yeah, things like this… Because I’m an entertainer, people won’t view this in the way they would view regular folks. For example, if my girlfriend is a regular university student, when she looks at me she might sometimes see me as an entertainer too. Even if it’s someone I love, I really don’t like it. For me, I can turn up the music and run to the front of the car to dance, even at a junction where there are people walking around. I just want to express, “This is how much I like you”. That’s a kind of aegyo from me too, I want to make her understand that “So oppa really likes me so much”.

Likewise, because I’m an entertainer, when I’m on stage or when I’ve released an album, I really hope that people can acknowledge and think, “He’s indeed an entertainer, he does have this kind of talents and abilities after all”. But at the same time I also hope for people to see me as a regular person. If I’m under less pressure, everyone will be able to see a more realistic side of me.

DJ: If people were to see us on the streets, it’ll be nice if they pretend not to recognize us, yes?

Jin: That’s right, though I know it’s impossible.. But the most important thing is to be appropriate, if people recognize us it will be good to acknowledge us appropriately

DJ: That would be the best

Jin: For example, when I’m eating in a restaurant, if the customer at the next table says “Junjin-sshi, I’m a fan of yours”, I’d say “Thank you”, and that’s really nice. But sometimes there are people who would say in banmal (informal speech), “Oh Junjin, take a step back and let us take a look!” There are really many people who talk like that. And we, honestly, we can’t possibly put up with it all the time, isn’t it?

DJ: That’s true

Jin: Sometimes it really gets to the stage when it’s too much, wouldn’t it be nice if we can all speak nicely…

DJ: From another point of view, it’s something to be grateful for too – there are many entertainers out there who work very hard but yet when they walk on the streets, no one can recognize them

Jin: Yeah

======================================================

DJ: The 3rd question – It will be great if I can have a news article about this

1. Junjin gets married with his girlfriend 15 years younger (at this point, Junjin exclaims in surprise, “15 years?”
2. Junjin follows in father’s footsteps to become a trot singer
3. Multi-talented singer Junjin becomes a poet
4. Junjin’s martial arts academy is now recruiting students

Jin: #4

DJ:Really? You’ve already prepared for your licences and certifications?

Jin: Ah… Because of my dad, there’s really no sports that I’m not familiar with

DJ: Did your dad make you learn them?

Jin: He did make me learn them, but because I was rebellious I refused to get my certifications, and as I got older many of my friends got the certifications and I didn’t. When I was young I really couldn’t understand why my dad was teaching me to use weapons

DJ: Your dad wanted to make you tougher?

Jin: Yes, and he liked sports very much too. I’ve mentioned this on a show before, that he tied me up with wire when I was young and taught me how to break it. Now I can escape using my fingers, because when I was younger I’ve learnt it, and also how to keep my balance while doing a handstand

DJ: Did your dad need you to take revenge for him for something that’s why he trained you like this?

Jin: I don’t know if that’s the case (laughs heartily)

DJ: I heard that your father wanted to become an entertainer

Jin: Until now he still hopes to be one, because when he was 20 he auditioned for a Chinese-Korean movie production and though he made it through, my grandfather opposed it and he didn’t manage to take part in the movie. My dad wanted to be an action actor, so he always had this regret on his mind. When I first wanted to join showbiz, my dad opposed it too, but after seeing how hard I was willing to work, he agreed. I even broke rocks when I was in high school…

DJ: Looks like even if you didn’t make it in showbiz you could have still appeared on Star King

Jin: Now I’m hoping to be in an action film. Even if I might get injured, but I still like it. Rather than to sit and chat, I’d rather go do some sports. Even after overnight filming and I’m really tired when I reach home, I’d still think, I really worked hard today!

DJ: So if you receive an offer to be in an action film, you would agree I suppose?

Jin: Of course, even if I have to spend a year to train my body to become like Ong Bak. When I did really high kicks on shows like Love Letter, it was to tell the directors, “I can do it, please hire me”.

DJ: I see, so then say something to the directors now then

Jin: Dear directors, there’s someone who’s ready now, please look for me, I’m Junjin. I’m prepared.

DJ: So there’s an actor who’s ready, who will put everything on the line and work hard, directors please don’t look elsewhere, even if the money is not much would Junjin still be willing to do it?

Jin: Of course, money isn’t the issue here, because it’s something I want to do

DJ: Even if you make a loss?

Jin: Yes, of course

DJ: Even if you have to break wires

Jin: Yeah

DJ: Even if you have to break rocks

Jin: Yeah

DJ: Junjin is really determined, a very cool Junjin.

Jin: I’ll be starting on my Asia tour at the end of May, and I’m heading to Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan and China. I think it’s because of the many people who are supporting me with their attendance that I’m able to go, I really really thank all of you. When I’m back I’ll be appearing in shows and preparing for more great performances to present to everyone. Hope everyone will support me.

DJ: There are many action movie directors overseas too, maybe you can perform breaking wires and rocks on stage

Jin: Yes yes, I have plans for that (breaks into laughter)

DJ: Time is up before we know it, so to end this off why don’t you say something to everyone

Jin: I’m now actively involved in promotional activities after the release of my album, and I’ll be showing everyone different sides of me. I’ll become a hardworking Junjin! Thank you!

Credits: 十一年的第一天@Junjin Baidu Bar + Absolut Shinhwa

No comments: