Sunday, April 20, 2008

[08.04.14][news] Entrepreneurial Lee Minwoo made 900 million won in 2007




His obsession with dance began in his 2nd year of high school, and it was then that he decided on his lifelong career~

"Is my life interesting enough for a TV drama? ...The bittersweet emotions that I felt at the 10th anniversary concert, I know I'm a blessed person"



Singer Lee Minwoo is always greedy for more, and he never stops anting more. He has recently made an investment in a music institute, and looks every bit the entrepreneur.

Everyone starts with a little somewhere, but it's not anyone who can go on and succeed. But Shinhwa's Lee Minwoo seems to be addicted to success, and he'd set very high expectations for himself in everything that he does. He makes sure that all his potential is fully realised and he never gives up when competing with others.

Minwoo started dancing when he was five, and by the time he reached his teens he had already become famous in his hometown of Jeonju for his dancing skills. He then moved to Seoul and made his debut into the entertainment world.

Minwoo's not the most eyecatching among the 6 members of Shinhwa. He's always practising his dance moves quietly, and holes up in his studio to make music. Recently he even proved to be an able concert planner. He was the first to set up his own company, M Rising, among the members, and last year the company made 900 million won in revenue.

Even now, Minwoo is still radiating his passion and charisma wherever he is. Sitting together at a table with Minwoo and his soju, the female reporters are charmed by his tough charisma, while the male reporters are amazed about how astute his financial judgement is. They gather today to find out not about what he has achieved, but his dream which is about to be realized.

We'll be sharing the story of the man who feels happiest when he's on stage.


Debut Adventures

▲ When did you start dancing?

I learnt to dance like Michael Jackson when I was five. From then until my debut, it really feels like a TV drama.

▲ Wow, what kind of a story would it be if it was a drama?

(Takes a big sip of soju) When I was in my second year of high school, me and two other hyungs wanted to the second Seo Taiji & The Boys, so we often practised together. When I was in senior high we went to Seoul, and that was the first time I saw Position and Turbo. We even saw people practising for the audition in the bathhouse. One of the hyungs' uncle was a composer, and he even saw someone practising with a chair in a tearoom. It's quite hilarious thinking about it now, but I went back to Jeonju deciding to return for the audition a year later.


▲So you went back home?

I did, and I formed a 4-man dance group called Dicky Ducky with 3 other friends. Back then in Jeonju, I was already like an artiste, I was like the Jang Woo Hyuk of H.O.T then (laughs). We were doing so well back then that the brands that sponsored HOT were ready to sponsor us too. We had our own appearance schedules too.


▲ Wow, how much were your appearance fees then?

About 200,000 won. When we liaised with the parties I'd tell them, "There's 4 of us, please give us an even number so that we can split the fees." Since senior high I was making my own living.


▲ When was the next time you went to Seoul?

I went to Seoul in my 2nd year of senior high. The uncle who was a composer warned me, "This path is very rocky, it's dirty but it's spectacular too." I made a lot of preparations for it, I suffered from food poisoning and malnutrition too. I spent 3 months like this, and one day when I opened my eyes I realised that the hyungs disappeared and just left a note behind. (Pauses for a moment) They even took my 200,000 won allowance with them.


▲ Omo, weren't you betrayed then? How did you become part of Shinhwa in the end?

In fact I wanted to give up my dream of becoming a singer. But there was a member of Dicky Ducky who was going to take part in the Everland dance competition, so I just gave it a shot. Rather than having a shot at becoming a singer, I was really more attracted by the cash prize of 3 million won. I went for it feeling very confident, but we forgot to bring the CD. I searched through many CD stores but we couldn't find the right CD. In the end we managed to find one last copy at a store in the amusement park. You know how it is in comics when there's a glow radiating from something precious? It was like that then, the CD we wanted just came into sight. We had to beg the organizers to let us take part, in the end we made it. There were 800 teams participating in that competition.


▲ It's the drama of all dramas. Of course you won the competition then.

After that, SM Entertainment's Kim Kyung Woo gave me his namecard. He bought us dinner, and even brought us around the SM office. It felt like a dream. When he told us to make a demo tape I even asked him "what's a demo tape?", but we recorded a tape in the noraebang anyway. Out of four of us there, SM was going to sign only two. On the day of the final selection all the SM trainees came to watch us. That was the first time I met the SES members-to-be Bada, Shoo and Eugene, and my fellow Shinhwa groupmates-to-be Andy, Shin Hyesung and Eric. Andy had his hair all slicked back, and looked even older than me (laughs). Hyesung was wearing his shades and just peered through the shades to acknowledge me. Honestly I was thinking "Omo, he looks arrogant" (laughs again). Eric was wearing a sky blue baseball cap that day, and he looked like a nice person. 1997 started like that for me.


Respect for H.O.T

▲ Shinhwa's 10 years started like that.

When the members get together we're just like brothers. We said before at the 10th anniversary concert that we're actually even closer than real brothers.

▲ Aren't there conflicts between the members?

In the beginning we argued a lot. But now after such a long time, we already know each other's strong points very well, and we trust each other a lot. I'm in charge of the music and stage direction, and Eric guides the general direction of the group. Dongwan brings up issues from the point of view of a fan. In fact I'm very thankful to Jin and Andy. As the younger brothers, though they have their own ideas they will still go along with us. That's how we have the Shinhwa of today.


▲ Since you started off in the same company, there have been a great deal of comparison to H.O.T

When I started writing songs Jae Won helped me a great deal. People may feel that there's rivalry between the two groups but we have never thought about that. The relationship between us and H.O.T is not competitive, they are in fact a group that we really respect.


▲ The members cried at the end of the 10th anniversary concert.

It really felt very sad. (Eyes moisten a little) Honestly I didn't expect to be so moved. 10 years really have passed. (Pauses) At that time I felt from the bottom of my heart that I'm a really lucky and blessed guy.



The Detective Conan of the countryside

▲ How was it like at home when you were young?

My dad's business failed, so we weren't doing well. My mom kept things going by starting a beauty salon, and my dad also started rearing bees. My dad's really strong, he used to be a wrestler actually. Looking back I was like Detective Conan. A young Detective Conan of the countryside (laughs). Although we were poor but I still loved to look for adventures and I loved animals.


▲ Looks like you have a very strong survival instinct

I've been quite interested in financial management lately. I bought my dad a house, and that was the biggest expenditure I've ever made since I made my debut 10 years aso. It's near Cheonggyecheon, and the view is superb. My dad doesn't really express himself, so he just said "It's pretty good". But as a son that's more than enough for me.


▲ Seems like you're really close to your family. Have you thought about setting up your own family?

My dad was saying that settling down at 38 would be too late. Marriage and love requires the right timing. It will be perfect if it's someone who can understand my life.


▲ You're 30 this year, how do you feel about that?

I ended my 20s splendidly as a singer. As I step into my 30s I want to start on my other dreams, and my career will be my focus. Using my name, I want to create an environment with a lively performance culture.


Source: Sports Hankook &ocean's six
Chi trans: 染@bestshinhwa.com
Eng trans: midnightgirl13@shinhwabiz

No comments: