Friday, August 29, 2008

[08.08.28][trans] Part 1: Career... 28-year-old Andy has ambitious career plans


When we mention Andy these days, one would think about the solo singer with his adorable heart dance, the cute and mischievous baby of Shinhwa, and the romantic An-sobang.

If that's all you see, perhaps you need to get to know Andy a little more. Coming from an idol group that has lasted for 10 years, it seems that it is only now that he has started to move away from that "mould". He sits opposite me at the cafe, he orders a cup of coffee and starts to chat earnestly while laughing heartily from time to time. When he gets stuck with difficult questions, his eyes shyly dart to the left and right. His career, his life and his love, we'll share these with everyone in 3 parts.

Q: The musical Polaroid just ended on the 24th right? I suppose you can take a break now.

A: Because I was thinking too much about what to do next, now I'm trying to find something that is different from my usual image.


Q: It is said that a musical combines all the performing art forms in one, isn't it difficult to do?

A: Of course it was, initially it was awkward too, and coordination with the rest of the cast is also an issue. I felt really bad as I was often late due to my own schedules, but after a while everything got better.


Q: Recently Andy's star has been on the rise, you do know that right? (laughs)

A: Because there isn't much time before I enlist for military service, haha, so I have to be as active as I can within this period of time. Actually things shouldn't be done so haphazardly, and instead needs to be carried out with thought. Just like the role in Polaroid is fairly minor, but it's very meaningful.

I've learnt quite a bit from Kim Do Hyun, and the Best Newcomer of last year's Musicals Awards also acted alongside me, so it was a great learning opportunity for me. I guess this is what you call a role model. Just like how it is when I need to do an assignment but I have no idea how to do it, and as long as there's someone to guide me everything becomes clear. That's exactly how I feel.


Q: It's a sensitive question, but when you first appeared in musicals, there were some derogatory comments made about your box office draw as an idol star.

A: How shall I put it? Though I've been in showbiz for 10 years I'm not exactly a big star, and I don't have a hit drama to my name either. People would naturally be surprised and perhaps question, "Why would Andy act in a musical? Could it be because they wanted some star power? Is he trying musicals since he can't do dramas?"

When I first read the synopsis for the musical I knew nothing about musicals at all, and I was still considering some movie scripts. Before I knew it the reports about me starring in the musical came out. After that I spent 3 days in the jijimbang alone, not contacting anyone because I was so troubled.


Q: 3 days in the jijimbang?

A: Don't they have one of those penguin rooms? (laughs) The change in temperature helps to give your skin more elasticity. Anyway I stayed there by myself, having seaweed soup and thinking about things, so my conclusion is: as long as I work hard I should get results.


Q: How did you go about practising?

A: I started about one month before, and on the first day of rehearsals the director said, "It'll be better if we all familiarize ourselves with each other", so we all went for drinks, and then we went to cafes to chat. We spent 3 weeks doing that, in the end with one week to go I nearly went crazy! But somehow this seemed to work because my enunciation and vocals somehow improved!


Q: What's different for you now that you've been doing your solo work for quite some time now?

A: I think I've grown more ambitious towards my career. Until Shinhwa's activities commence again, there will be about 3-4 years in between where I can realise my own dreams.

I want to show people my achievements. Even if it's hard to reach the peak, at least I want to reach a certain level. That's my ambition.


Source: OCEAN
Chi trans: susan427@bestshinhwa.com
Eng trans: midnightgirl13@shinhwabiz

No comments: