Monday, February 16, 2009

[09.02.16][news] "Shin Hye Sung Style Ballad, Have to Acknowledge"

It is always a wrangling interview with Shin Hye Sung. ?This is because despite the every efforts of the journalist to pull out the romantic face, becoming of a ballad singer, different from that of Shinhwa members, she is shaken off and met with the confession that that is not so from Shin Hye Sung.?

One's who's mastered a quality of tone completely suited to ballads, this 17th he is presenting the ballads-only 3rd jib side 2 "Keep Leaves." As expected, this interview was no different. Trying to find the driving forced behind this "ballad sensibility," this person brought forward talk about computer games and alcohol.

Shin Hye Sung divided his 3rd jib into 2, side 1 in which he challenged several new genres, like rock, and side 2 which is wholly composed of ballads. Last year he stepped forward and ventured into powerful songs like "Because It's You" and "Awaken," while for side 2 he is coming out with his "master item." the title track, "Why Did You Call," with it's whispered start and and break directly into the refrain makes it a unique, progressive ballad. Popularity has been high for the track."

HS: "Isn't it different from (pre)existing ballads? The arrangement, as well as there is a unique feel. I received this song last autumn and it immediately stuck, so I recommended it for the title track. The opening part of the song starts forlornly, and in the verse ?one can hear the masses rise up?. Making a ballad album, much of the same type of songs come out, but this one has some color, so I like it."

Last year, when presenting "Because It's You" and challenging rock, this person was anticipating like mad the effect of the ballad album. Truthfully, while making this album, the person in question was satisfied with the experience and considered it worth doing, and felt that he had grown.

"I didn't change so that people watching would be surprised, but of my own accord I thought "I need a helper." I had this sense about parts of the song and when the songs were completed. Before I only liked hearing ballads, but now I have interest in other genres. In the future ballads will remain my main focus but I'm going to continue challeging. There are main and minor characters in online games aren't there (laughs)"

In the futue, my goal i to establish the "Shin Hye Sung style ballad." Making this color that will rise when one thinks of Shin Hye Sung.

"My music is not R&B and not pop ballads. Presenting them as such would be false." Just "Shin Hye Sung's style" would be nice. My fans I think already know this. Now is the phase in which more people recognized this."


For the "Why Did You Call" mv, a romantic and sad shoot took place against the backdrop of a snow scape in Sapporo, Japan. In the video Shin Hye Sung and actress Lee Young-ah acted out a melo-drama.

"There was a place where I lied on the snow and it seemed like we were on a stock farm. It didn't show on the screen but there was a lot of cow poo there (laughs). Bearing the smell was really difficult."

In the latter half of the mv, the tears that came out of Shin Hye Sung were real tears. This was the first time in his activities as an artist that real tears flowed.

"It was late and we couldn't go out and buy the eyedrops. So I just had to cry. We put on ?Big Mama's? songs and for quite a while I thought of hardships and cried. I have found that it is especially difficult to not wrinkle up one's look but cry clearly. Because actors are different from my "eu-ang" cry, it is very straining. (laughs)"

For the music video, for the entire length he directly chose which cuts to use and how they were organized. Because he doesn't like his outward appearence he paid a lot of mind. Come to think of it, he also collected the interview photos.


"I really don't like taking pictures. I have no pictures of myself on my cell-phone. I don't even have one of those common digital cameras. I have a complex about my outward appearance. I don't like any of it. If I were more becoming of a man, that would be good. Since early on I've heard often that I'm quite like a woman, it seems like that."

Come to think of it, when the journalist asked questions related to his fine and meticulous outward appearance, it was returned with unreasonable answers. The interview took place on the 13th. This person didn't know at all that the following day was Valentine's Day.

"Tomorrow. It's Eric's birthday party. I got Dong-wan's message and fees are being collected (laughs). Tomorrow is Valentines? Ah! I didn't know. I don't take care of these types of days well, you see. I also didn't organize my birthday parties. It's a bit embarassing, you know."

Continued on second part.

이혜린 기자 rinny@asiae.co.kr
Eng trans: nekori@shinhwa.biz

No comments: