Thursday, February 26, 2009

Between “wanting to do” and “doing it well”, Shin Hyesung has chosen the latter for his latest album, Vol.3 Side 2 ‘Keep Leaves’, an album of ballads



Between “wanting to do” and “doing it well”, Shin Hyesung has chosen the latter for his latest album, Vol.3 Side 2 ‘Keep Leaves’, an album of ballads that mourn lost love.

“After Side 1 was released, many articles talked about how Shin Hyesung had ‘transformed himself with rock’ “. Of course that wasn’t the case, but having gained more than he had lost, he has no regrets. Side 1, featuring genres like Brit rock, swing and alternative rock, was released in August last year to mixed success. And although he had no expectations while promoting the album, but it was a success in the sense that it showed off Shin Hyesung’s abilities as Shinhwa’s main vocalist for the past 10 years.

For Side 2, the title track “Why Did You Call” is a ballad in Shin Hyesung’s distinct style. The lyrics tell of the story of a couple who have parted but still long for each other. “When couples break up, they would still try to get in touch once or twice after that, don’t they? I think I’ve done that before too, I borrowed a friend’s phone so that it wouldn’t be my number showing on her phone. The call got through and I kept quiet, and then hung up once I heard her voice. I can remember it only vaguely, it’s something I did when I was young.”

Starting with the beautiful piano-and-strings intro, ‘Keep Leaves Part 1′, touching ballads like ‘Even If It’s A Life’, ‘I’m Dying’ and ‘Love Disease’ come on one after another, and the 10-song album is just like an old diary with the scent of a bittersweet love.

Shin Hyesung spent a week in Sapporo filming the MV with actress Lee Young Ah, and even pulled off a crying scene. To thank Lee Young Ah for her help, he even gave her a musical box as a gift.

He said, “It’s been a long time since I’ve been surrounded by snow like that, and it makes me want to be in love. I kept thinking, how nice it would be to have someone in my heart, no matter who it is, but who is it that’s by my side in reality? It’s still Kangta and (Lee) Jihoon whom I spend 24 hours with on my rest days, they’re my support. (laughs)”

Source: Naver + Six Senses
Chi trans: susan427@Bestshinhwa
Eng trans: midnightgirl13@absolutshinhwa.wordpress.com

No comments: