Thursday, October 09, 2008

[08.10.09][trans] M's interview Pt 1: I want to exchange my ambition for freedom

Singer Lee Minwoo laughs happily. Having gone along with a hardcore hiphop sound and focusing on a more masculine approach to his music, he has made his comeback with a more widely accepted sound. Even from the album cover it's easy to see that his image is different. For the last album he had a wolf-like, aggressive image but for his 4th album M RIZING, we see him laughing happily with youthful innocence.

His title track Don't Trust Men is written by Brave Brother, with a sexier and more sensual sound. Lee Minwoo says, "I've spent a lot of time with a lot of ambitions and desires on my mind. For this album, I wanted to free myself from them and take a breather."

The mood of the title track is rather surprising. "Isn't it very different from previous title tracks Bump and Stomp? There's less of that kind of feel this time round, I can't be stubbornly sticking to one genre all the time. I wanted to express other kinds of styles."


What's the reason for the change?

"I often hear people saying, if only Minwoo was taller by 5cm. (laughs) I started releasing my own music about 3 years ago. Of course I'm grateful if people think that way, but actually I feel that music should cater to everyone's tastes."


So that's why the title track was written by someone other than yourself?

"I've been on good terms with Brave Brother since some time back, and we both acknowledge and admire each other as musicians. Rather than to stubbornly make my own style of music, I thought it would be better if I took a step back and try letting someone else do it. That's why for this album I eased up on my ambitious desires and allowed myself more time to review what I have done so far. Of course for the fans it's a bit of a pity, but I've made it up in other ways. It will be great if the fans can understand this."


You've been writing songs for 9 years now, was there ever a time you encountered writer's block?

"During the 3rd album, I wanted to call the title track Slump instead of Stomp. (laughs) I got the concept for the song from the movie Stomp The Yard - the sound of boots stomping and hands clapping really sounded great. That was actually supposed to be the title track for Shinhwa's 8th album. In the end I changed the melody a little and used it as for my 3rd album instead.

But come to think of it now, it probably looked too aggressive for the stage and the audience probably weren't too receptive to it. So for now, I used that concept for the last time in Run, the title track for Shinhwa's 9th album.

Even so, I'm glad that the seniors and juniors in the music scene all acknowledge that it's a distinct trait of Lee Minwoo. I don't regret it at all."


You must be a little upset to receive comments that your 4th album title track is very similar to Taeyang's Look Only At Me

"I expected that. The arrangement is on the whole different, just that the beat is somewhat similar. After Justin Timberlake first used that beat for My Love, it became quite popular and commonly used. Other than that, the melody is completely different!


The lyrics of Don't Trust Men leave quite a deep impression as well, painting quite a vivid impression of men who just want to date and not think of marriage.

"I thought that I'd probably get scolded for writing lyrics like that but Brave Brother told me that bad boys are the in thing now. Then I recalled Hyesung joking in an interview that I treat girls like accessories. No way! I'm the type who would like a girl for a really long time, and I don't believe in two-timing."


Really?

"It's true. I believe in the power of love, when I'm in love I give it my all. My sister told me once that it wouldn't be too bad to marry a man like me. For me, if my woman expects something of me, I'll give her my everything."


Not too long ago you revealed the names of your ex-girlfriends and got criticized for that?

"I did some thinking about it, and I concluded that I didn't consider all aspects. After that it was a little awkward whenever I met her. Actually, we broke up very amicably, so naturally I just related the story without thinking too much about it. But people felt that since it was over, there was no need to bring it up. But I think it's still possible to remain good friends even after a couple breaks up."


Have you been dating lately?

"I really don't like it when autumn comes. But I'm happy to have met many pretty colleagues and juniors on the variety shows. Even so, I still feel.... (laughs) It will be good if we can get to know each other well enough, establish our status and date comfortably. But if things aren't handled well negative comments will come along and affect the other party, that's something I worry about too."


Source: asiaeconomic
Chi trans: wangshu_1115@shinhwayeah.com
Eng trans: midnightgirl13@shinhwabiz

No comments: