Wednesday, October 15, 2008

[08.10.15][trans] Lee Minwoo hopes for a song called "Don't Trust Women"

Since their debut in 1998, Shinhwa has already spent their first decade in the Korean music scene. Shinhwa's Lee Minwoo made his solo debut as M in 2003, and has just released his 4th album. Even though he has already established himself as M the solo singer, he is still very much a part of Shinhwa. So how does he manage the dual identities of M and Shinhwa's Lee Minwoo?

◆M, from Lee Minwoo's perspective

Releasing his solo album after 1 year and 2 months, Lee Minwoo is feeling very contented.

"In 2003, I was the first among the Shinhwa members to start my solo activities. As time passed, each time I released a solo album it seemed to signify a phase of growth for me, and I feel that it's very meaningful to me. The 4th album is actually my favourite and the one that I'm most satisfied with. If I were to rate it, I'll say that it's an album that I have no regrets about."

His previous albums featured his self-penned title tracks like Bump and Stomp helped to establish a unique brand of M Style music. However the title track this time round, Don't Trust Men, was written by Brave Brother, with a more sensual rhythm to it.

"After discussing the style and concept for the track with the songwriter, we decided on the final product, and I think it fully demonstrates my idea behind it. In the past I was involved in most of the songs on the album and it really wore me out. Of course this is something I'll have to overcome if I want to carry on writing music, but I had to consider things from a health perspective since I have to perform as well."

"I wanted to move away from my usual style of strong and aggressive beats since this album will carry into fall and winter, and I wanted to focus more on the melodies. If my performances are all so similar it will get mundane. Most of the titles are in Korean, as I want to make it more accessible for everyone."

The album jacket photos were taken by renowned photographer Jo Seon Hee. After deciding on the concept of the album, Lee Minwoo immediately thought of working with Jo Seon Hee, and that's how the final product - a combination of masculinity and adorable charm - came about.

"My previous albums, whether in terms of fashion or style, always came across as very strongly masculine. I wanted to have more smiles and laughter for this album. I did the album jacket for my 2nd album with Seon Hee nuna as well, and it was really fun. Even if we didn't say anything we would be still be able to communicate. When I called nuna, she just said that she'll do it for any amount I'm willing to give."

"Although the concept is smiles, this doesn't mean that the music isn't done seriously. I just want to emphasize a more easygoing, carefree and happy feeling. Even so, ideas like the painted M on my back and the logo printed on my arm still showed a masculine charm to it. For that photo, I worked out for one whole month to train my back muscles (laughs)."



After listening to Don't Trust Men, I almost really felt that all the men in the world are bad. When I asked him, "Can I still trust men anymore?", he laughed, "If you say that men can't be trusted anymore, then of course all men are liars."

"When I was younger I used to think that love is eternal, that it will always lead to marriage, and that it's worth dying for. But as I got older I got more cautious, I started to wonder how much I could give up for this person, and whether I'm sure if I love her. That's why this song is probably popular with unmarried men in their 30s because they can identify with it. The message I want to send across is that the guy isn't a playboy, but because such men exist, so hopefully she doesn't meet anyone like that anymore. I hope that there will be a song like "Don't Trust Women", because I've had similar experiences too."

Releasing his album during this period where many singers and groups are all making their comebacks, Lee Minwoo said, "Isn't it more fun to have so many changes? Even for the newbies, as long as their songs are good, they will have their opportunities."

"There was a time when I felt upset that only the dramas were popular, but now that the music scene is blossoming too, it's getting really interesting. Although there are many new singers and groups that I don't know, I'd still like to offer my help and advice to them. There are tips to singing and dancing live, and I want to share them with everyone."

Having set up his own company, M RIZING, he chose to name his 4th album after it. His role model is YG Entertainment's Yang Hyun Suk, who doesn't beat around the bush and offers constructive advice to others. After meeting him, Lee Minwoo started to dream bigger. Although he is still in the midst of casting for new talent, his ultimate goal is to eventually build a brand as polished as YG. He's not only looking for singing talents, but songwriting talents too.

"If I were to pick something Hyun Suk hyung said that really enlightened me, it would be him telling me that I have to have faith in myself. My goal is to learn all the skills from all the respected seniors in the industry and build a brand that I can call my own. I hope that I can become a complete entertainer in this sense, and represent a brand that can last for a long time."


Source: starnews&oceans
Chi trans: jojoyu7@shinhwachina
Eng trans: midnightgirl13@shinhwabiz

No comments: