Friday, October 10, 2008

[08.10.10][trans] M's interview Pt 2: I found a way to deal with negative remarks

As a Shinhwa member, Lee Minwoo has had his fair share of negative publicity in his 10-year showbiz career. He has encountered and overcome evil rumours and depression, problems that has plagued the celebrity world recently.

Faced with the negative comments, he has found a way to deal with it. He tried ignoring these rumours, but then again he can't let them go as if nothing has happened before.


Do you read all the negative comments about yourself?

"I have my own way of dealing with these things. I would think, "All you people, do you think you can achieve what I've achieved?" (laughs) Actually, they know full well how their words can hurt us. It's just that they refuse to stop, and instead happily carry on doing these things to satisfy themselves. "Really? How much better can you do? Can you achieve what I've done?" If I think this way, I'd feel less burdened.

Actually, all these posts and messages can be constructive too. As long as the public can give their comments calmly and rationally, we as entertainers will be able to improve. It will be great if the netizens can try to see things from our point of view, think of how we'd feel when we face negative remarks.


Have you ever tried tracing the source of these rumours and comments?

Ridiculous rumors are very common. Some of them make up stories about me going to places I've never been to and people I've never met. I once managed to find the rumourmonger 5, 6 years ago, and I confronted him. But it was really funny though.

Even if you try to control them, the rumours will still take place, just like a virus. There will be a way to put out the fires.

Many singers are particularly prone to suffering from insomnia and depression.

Regardless, it's easy to slip into a world of your own. When I started my solo project, I couldn't find my place in the music world, and I was depressed over it. It felt like the world's burden all fell onto my shoulders, and that the world may not need me anymore. And also because of some setbacks in my personal life, I thought of ending my life before."




How did you survive these obstacles?
"Although it's selfish of me to do so, but I start to think a lot more when I see the others suffering more than me. He added, "Actually my pain amounts to nothing at all." Minwoo looks forward, and refuses to let anything else get him down. "I want to live freely, just like many other people." "


Of course there were rough times too.

When we released Eusha Eusha, despite our best efforts we still didn’t do well as others. During the 2002 World Cup, I really felt happy to be living in this era. Despite the fact that we didn’t do well at this Olympics, sometimes when you don’t succeed you’d want to do better the next time round, although the athletes themselves may want to get away from the reality of it all. This applies to mass media and pop culture too.

Cool Life, track 6 on the album, shows exactly this kind of mentality – sharing tough times together and building bonds over the course of it. I wasn’t born in the city, so I value relationships more. (laughs) When the going gets tough, even a smile can give people strength, that’s a real community isn’t it?

Source: asiaeconomic
Chi trans: wangshu_1115@shinhwayeah.com
Eng trans: midnightgirl13@shinhwabiz

No comments: