Thursday, October 30, 2008

[08.10.29][trans] Andy takes on the musical stage once again



THE MUSICAL STAR OF TOMORROW
TURNING POINT
SINGLES' ANDY
Andy takes on the musical stage for the third time with .
When we meet him at the performance venue
Instead of the veteran singer who has been enjoying popularity for the past 10 years, we find a humble musical actor who is working hard at learning more about musicals.

In September, PLAY DB magazine did a poll to find the musical actor that the audience most looked forward to seeing in October's theatre projects. In the end, Andy of rose above his competition and was thus featured on the October issue. Let's go on a date with Andy, who, after and , is now starring in .




"I need to change my image now"

When we ask Andy to smile for the camera, he playfully nods, then shakes his head. Although he seems to be speaking in jest, his determination still comes through. The character of Soo Hyun in is a new challenge compared to Andy's gentle and mild image on various variety shows. In order to portray a more mature and masculine image, Andy has already started practising way ahead of time.


Learning and growing little by little

"Soo Hyun is a very attractive character. The way he loves a woman and the way he puts in effort is close to the character that I hope to be. In actual fact I think less than 10% of Korean men are like Soo Hyun, there really aren't many of them (laughs)."

He has clearly been very immersed in his role. Andy's image should finally be changed with this performance, and he is now working hard on portraying the slightly dull personality of the character.

Now, compared with the image of the popular star and Shinhwa member which he has been enjoying for the past 10 years, now he is more of a rookie musical actor.

"My first musical performance left me with many regrets. I wanted to show my more mature side but I didn't seem to achieve that. But I find musicals really interesting, having to interact and coordinate with the other actors within the two hours. It's really fun."

In 2006's , it is true that no one thought much of Andy. Although he had a very positive effect on the box office results, there were comments that Andy's effect stemmed from his status as a singer from an idol group. Although he possessed stage presence and the ability to grab the audience's attention, his acting skills still had room for improvement. He seems to know this better than anyone else when he says, "There are still many times when I wish that I can do better. I get most frustrated when I've already analysed the character yet I can't deliver what I wanted to, that's the worst part. I still need more practice when it comes to this."

"I still get nervous although I've practiced, but somehow though I can't see my own improvement, the others tell me that I've gradually improved."







Musicals: Turning Point

This year Andy released his first solo album, ANDY THE FIRST NEW DREAM. Fans' reactions were mostly of surprise, as Shinhwa rapper Andy chose to sing instead of rap for his album. "Some people said it was amazing and that I had practiced a lot, but there were others who said that it was still lacking. But people were mostly surprised. I didn't expect singing to be this fun."

It was his first musical Music In My Heart that triggered him, making him feel that singing was actually fun, something that he didn't realise even in Shinhwa.

"Before Music In My Heart I really hated my own voice. Every aspect of it. But during the musical, the director and the other cast members said that my voice has a unique charm to it, and it was good to hear that (laughs). And it's how I developed an interest and ambition towards musicals. I made many mistakes on stage then. Missing cues were nothing compared to forgetting lyrics. After that I always came to the venue an hour beforehand to practise. Now although I'm still nervous on stage, but I've gradually picked up the techniques and the other cast members often give me advice and tips too."

"During fellow cast member Do Hyun hyung told me, "Even if you have only 3 minutes on the stage, you must still understand the stage, and think of why you're eher and what you have to do." It's vital to concentrate and focus before going on stage, I've been swearing by this piece of advice and I'll continue to do so."

Andy then laughs playfully as he adds, "But Do Hyun hyung didn't teach me how to be in sync with emotions though."




I am Shinhwa

Besides acting, we have also seen him busy with his music activities. In March this year, he stood with the other Shinhwa members for Shinhwa's 10th anniversary concert, and he also held solo concerts in Japan, China and Korea. But he loves Shinhwa more than anything else, the Shinhwa that gave him what he has today. He says, "When people ask the members if Shinhwa will disband when the members enlist for military duty, we just laugh it off."

Although he agrees that Shinhwa has enjoyed a great amount of popularity for the past 10 years, but success didn't come easily.

"Honestly Shinhwa's 1st album did badly and when we got to the top of the charts with T.O.P from our 2nd album, our ambitions grew. We wanted to win the Daesang, but that didn't come until our 7th album. After 8 years, we also finally moved into the rest of Asia, that's how we spent the 10 years. That's why I think there's nothing for me and Shinhwa to be afraid of anymore."

His fans aren't limited to just Korean fans, but fans from Asia as a whole. For his musicals, it's a common sight to see large groups of fans from Japan and China among the audience. He had even met a fan from Mexico before. Andy says, "Once I think of the fans I want to work harder at showing my more mature side."



In the interview, when he talks about , he talks about his views on relationships and marriage too. He wants to find someone soon, but he concludes that "Marriage is something very difficult."

"Married life itself isn't tiring, but getting to the stage of marriage isn't an easy thing either. My ideal type changes everyday. My ideal type today is someone who wants to marry me (laughs), but tomorrow it may change. Having said that, I'm not a playboy. Honestly I like girls with beautiful eyes, and if she's filial that's even better."

He says he has a lot of ambition now. If there's a chance, he'll want to take up a new challenge in a new genre. Next year he'll be working on a new album and concerts, and variety show appearances are also on his list of to-do things. Redefining his role as a singer and actor, Andy might even bring us more surprises next year.

Source: playdb.co.kr
Chi trans: susan427@Bestshinhwa
Eng trans: midnightgirl13@shinhwabiz

No comments: