Sunday, July 05, 2009

[09.07.05] M’s Newsen interview Pt 1/3: Get into The M Style with Minnovation




The colourful album catches one’s attention, and it’s just like a vividly colored pictorial. This is ‘Minnovation’, Lee Minwoo’s Vol 4.5 mini-album, with his unique and characteristic M Style.

“Vivid fluorescent colors have been fashionable since last year. And I’ve also done a lot of research to improve from the unsatisfactory portions of the 4th album, and as a result I found a suitable mix of colors, music and images. There are two versions for this limited edition album, each version with a different cover and the jewel case can’t be purchased in Korea either. It contains my experience from the past 11 years, especially what I’ve learnt from my solo activities, so I think this will turn out well.”


Every word coming from Lee Minwoo is filled with confidence. “Life’s like that too, ever since Shinhwa started, it would be impossible to carry on without confidence. Because I made it to the stage with my tireless efforts and passion, I’m really very satisfied with this album. I’ll be really glad if I could hear people say that they can see traces of my efforts.”

To emphasize the dynamism of the album, Lee Minwoo was quite troubled by what kinds of colors and styles to use. The droplets on the album jacket look as if they’re moving and project a dynamic feel. “We used fluorescent colours, and since fluorescent colours look more noticeable on tanned skin, I got myself a tan too.”

Talking about the unforgettable moment when he held the album for the first time, Lee Minwoo said, “Though I know the concept, but I wondered how everything would fall in place together. When I held it for the first time, I felt that I was holding something really good, something really well-made, and I could feel the value of the limited edition. If I already felt this way, I wondered how the fans would feel when they held the album in their hands?”

As he produced the album himself, he suffered a lot during the creation process. “To improve the title track and to complete the album, I searched for music samples directly from the countries of the sources. I did this not because it’s a mission or responsibility, it’s because I’m doing something that I like, and that’s why I’m always taking up challenges. I’m always thinking of how to melt away people’s coldness. I can’t tolerate styles that are too obvious.”

Fans are not only interested in Lee Minwoo’s music, but in his performances too. For someone like him who’s always coming up with new performance ideas, fans have all expressed eager anticipation for his comeback – what kind of stage performance will it be this time?

“There’s actually a lot of pressure. Everytime during the preparation, I’d feel especially pressured when I’m working hard to achieve the best effects, and I thought about not being so cautious during the 4th album. Although ‘Don’t Trust Men’ is a good song, I wanted to make sure that my own musical color didn’t get lost. In the process I became insensitive to the response from those around me. That’s why for this album, I met up with the composers for the monitoring, and with the designers for the album concept. I went about life like a machine, without even catching my breath. I kept on doing that repeatedly, and though there was pressure and worry, working hard like this was the only way to go.”

Lee Minwoo expressed that the production of the album was a process of “making something out of nothing at all”. “From the producer’s point of view, I wanted to try new things, but if I was too ahead of the times, people would feel that it’s ‘too early’ and not have an open mind. Although electronica is very popular now, but using it throughout would make people sick of it, so I combined hip hop and electronica, and gave it the sense of speed through voice editing.”

Once he completed his album, he gave out copies to people from various fields to have a listen. “The tension is still there. From the start until the end, the tension doesn’t go away. The dynamic rhythm pattern and sound scale makes it even more magnificent. The M who gives people a dynamic feel isn’t kidding here.”

“The dance is good, and the music too has my distinct color, and I hope to show everyone my best side.” Thanks to M’s efforts, ‘Minnovation’ has hit #1 on the sales charts within its first week of release. Everyone is now keeping a close watch on Lee Minwoo, who’s on his way to show off a brand new M Style.

Credits: Newsen + Su-mi@absolutshinhwa

No comments: