Tuesday, July 07, 2009

[09.07.07] Lee Minwoo is “more like a singing dancer”

In May, I met up with Lee Minwoo before he released his Vol 4.5 album ‘Minnovation’, and the place where we met had many DVDs from veteran pop stars. Lee Minwoo requested for all Michael Jackson songs, from the Jackson 5 to his solo performances. Michael Jackson has just passed away recently.

“I’ve always held Michael Jackson in reverence. He always has the greatest self-confidence when he’s on stage, and he’s someone who knows exactly how to be the best. No matter how much you try you can never do as well as him.”

Back then, Lee Minwoo was right in the midst of producing the album, and was troubled over finding “something unique to himself”. He wasn’t satisfied with the results of his 4th album, and his desire to do his best for his last album before enlistment made him feel like he was standing at the edge of a cliff.

Lee Minwoo mentioned in a recent interview, “It’s been 11 years of Shinhwa group and solo activities. Looking back at my happiest and best moments on stage, whenever I see videos of that, time seems to go backwards to those days.”

And so the conclusion is that he is “a singing dancer”.

“Looking at those videos, I can recall the feelings of joy I experienced when I was standing on stage. What I did to get the audience cheering, and even the faces of the audience would come to mind. I get goosebumps when that happens. It’s as if I feel liberated because I found the road that I should take.”

Although he comes from an idol group, Lee Minwoo has been producing his own music for his

solo projects. He discusses music trends and concepts with close composer friends like Brave Brothers, Kim Do Hyun; and he pays close attention to the currently popular songs in the US and in Korea.

Wanting to create music that makes people want to dance, accelerated the pace at which this ’singing dancer’ found his own distinct ‘color’. Minnovation. which is a portmanteau made of of his name M and ‘innovation’, represents the innovative music made by Lee Minwoo, who himself has the ability to make people go crazy about him.

“My 2007 song ‘The M Style’, many people said that the strong beat resembles that of Justin Timberlake’s ‘Sexyback’ a lot. If I were to come up with a similar style again it will be very dull, so the title track ‘Minnovation’ fuses electronica and hip hop.”

Although he wrote the music and lyrics for the song, rather that to project a singer-songwriter image, he’s working hard to present himself as a professional songwriter, while working hand in hand with other composers at the same time.

YG Entertainment’s Yang Hyun Suk, who Lee Minwoo respects a great deal, also gave him some words of advice. “During the 4th album, he told me, ‘you’re good no matter you’re Shinhwa or a solo act. Rather than to act on your desire of writing your own songs, you must use good songs to present exciting stage performances’.”

This album also includes ‘Love Me Ice Cream’ written by American kyopo Outsidaz; ‘Summer Time’ written by Lee Young Jun, which has received a favorable response along with the title track; and the remix version of ‘The M Style’ arranged by 1TYM’s Teddy.

The reviews of netizens have alos been very positive: “it’s an album filled with Lee Minwoo’s distinct style” (aant55); “I hope people can understand better Lee Minwoo’s hard work and efforts” (minwoo1na); and “Lee Minwoo indeed, I can feel your passion” (aa432aa).

Lee Minwoo started to talk about the first apartment he bought in Hwanghak-dong in 2007 since coming from Jeonju, and his fashion business. “After 11 years in showbiz I’ve understood that the entertainment industry is a cold and unfeeling place. If I don’t want to get forgotten by people, I’ll have to do well and wait for recognition. When people experience difficulties they tend to want to hold on to something, and I want to do well for myself before people stretch out their hands.”

“If I were to say my 20s was a splendidly drawn sketch, then I hope that my 30s-40s is a sturdy design plan. Everyone likes the word ’success’ and I’m looking forward to fill up the design plan with my success. For this to happen, rather than to run towards my target, I’d prefer to take it step by step.”

Lee Minwoo – now in the middle of the flight of stairs – may have experienced pain and suffering in the past, but when he looks back and realises that “I’ve done very well”, he swipes away his perspiration. Lee Minwoo is looking forward to what lies at the end of the flight of stairs, and smiles as he starts his climb with his Vol 4.5 album.

And in the process, he has found a goal of creating a group with the spirit of Shinhwa.

Credits: Yonhap News + Su-mi@absolutshinhwa

No comments: