Tuesday, July 14, 2009

[09.07.13] Lee Minwoo: I overcame my stereotype problem after taking Yang Hyun Suk’s advice

“I exercise for 2 hours right after I wake up. After that I’d be either having production meetings for the album or tanning myself to fit the style for this album. I also met up with the designers in order to observe and understand the latest trends. Since the beginning of last year I’ve set up my own businesses so there are many day-to-day matters to worry about, and I’ve also had to fit in dance practice sessions too.”

This is how Lee Minwoo spent each day of his rest period after ending his promotional activities for his 4th album last year. To Lee Minwoo, who had been repeating this daily schedule for every single day of his rest period, his Vol 4.5 album ‘Minnovation’ is a result of his hard work,and it’s an album as dear to him as his own child.


“I created a new term with my name after releasing ‘The M Style’ in 2007, didn’t I? Then there was ‘Hyorish’ and ‘Rainism’ too. ‘Minnovation’, the title of this album, is a portmanteau of my name ‘M’ and ‘Innovation’, and it signifies the revolution in my music.”

The first thing that catches people’s attention when looking at Lee Minwoo’s comeback is his spectacularly unusual costume. Lee Minwoo spent approximately 6 million won to produce the laser glove for his comeback stage, a clear demonstration of the attention he pays to visual aspects.

“I hope to bring a splash of cool for everyone during summer, so I chose vivid fluorescent colors. Can all of you feel the dynamism of the colors? For the album jacket I wanted to project a vintage yet stylish feel, while maintaining dynamism and charisma.

The first Shinhwa member to release a solo album in 2003, Lee Minwoo showed off his own musical colors, and he has unknowingly stepped into his 7th year as a solo act. What does Lee Minwoo think of his musical color now?

“I think powerful and strong performances still suit me the best. Looking at the songs that receive really good responses, I can sense, that’s my musical color after all. During the rest period, I kept thinking about when I looked the best during my 11 years of activities, and I just kept reflecting and thinking things through. Though I know that going with a musical style that’s too far ahead of time won’t do, but I’m working hard to break new ground right now.”

Then, what does Lee Minwoo think a ‘good singer’ is?

“It’s someone who continuously tries new things while maintaining his own unique style. I think the kind of album where you can sense new challenges and hard work is the best. When I present a new image, I won’t want to hear things like “Why is it like this?” I feel that the best thing for an artiste is for the public to have that certain image in their mind whenever they think of him. While maintaining such an edge, it’s very important to incorporate more interesting aspects into that image.”

He has been active for many years, and has experienced many obstacles along the way, but does Lee Minwoo have crises too? “After I ended my 4th album activities, I fell into a stereotype.” That was when YG Entertainment’s Yang Hyun Suk came into the picture and helped Lee Minwoo to resolve the problem. For Lee Minwoo, who set up M Rizing Entertainment, Yang Hyun Suk is definitely his role model.

“I kept thinking about what my identity is. I sought advice from friends around me, and Hyun Suk hyung gave me many good suggestions. He told me to make great music that suits me.”

“He told me, “Don’t try to tell people that ‘I wrote this’, instead let the public like what they see, and then exclaim when they find out that Lee Minwoo wrote this, that will be much better.” In that sense, this album is even more significant for me. In the process of producing the album, I tried all the different types of music that I’ve been wanting to do.”

With so much effort put into the album, Lee Minwoo has a even more special affection towards it. Being the boss, experiencing the difficulties of the staff, carrying the CDs in the trunk of his car on the way to work and after work, and promoting the album himself. As the singer, as the producer, as the boss of the company,for the multiple-titled Lee Minwoo, what does he want to show in future?

“Rather than to achieve success, for me, releasing an album is more for me to share my music with everyone and to let them enjoy it. I want to continuously present new things for everyone. Right now I’m feeling very good (laughs). I’m planning for the concert in mid-August. I want to have a more relaxed concert schedule, and take some breaks in between.”

Credits: Star News + Su-mi@absolutshinhwa

No comments: