Wednesday, July 15, 2009

[09.07.15] ‘M’, ‘Shinhwa’, ‘Young Man’… Lee Minwoo talks about Lee Minwoo

Singer Lee Minwoo, who has already spent 11 years in the music industry without realising it. And in this long period of time where even mountains and rivers could change, he has kept on singing and has developed many sides to himself.

He’s a Shinhwa member, he’s also the solo singer M, and he’s also an ordinary young man who has turned 30.

Let’s take a look at the different sides of Lee Minwoo who has just made his comeback after 9 months, with his Vol 4.5 album ‘Minnovation’.
‘M’ Lee Minwoo, In Pursuit of His Own Style

Lee Minwoo started his solo career in 2003, and since then he has released more than 10 albums, including full albums, single albums and mini-albums. He also set up his own management agency, M Rizing Entertainment, in 2007.

“Since debuting with Shinhwa until now, I’ve been working hard on searching for my own style. This album is made with 11 years of accumulated experience.”

However, we can’t conclude that this album is the style that he’s been looking for, because he is still searching. “After many rounds of trial and error, I found the way to be just a little ahead of the trend, and this album is the accumulation of that know-how.”

The title track ‘Minnovation’ fuses electronica with hip-hop and other popular music trends, and gives a refreshing feel. While preparing for this album, he has put in a lot of effort into even the costumes, accessories and other elements not directly related to music.

“The process of finding my own style isn’t easy, I will really need to work very hard throughout.”

Shinhwa’s Lee Minwoo, The Leader On Stage Is You

The leader of Korea’s longest-running idol group is Eric, and he has the full support of Shinhwa member Lee Minwoo, who speaks highly of Eric. “For the past 11 years, he’s a true leader who has given the member a great deal of help, whether it’s in emotional or physical terms.

But on stage, the leader is someone else, and that’s none other than Lee Minwoo. He takes care of all of Shinhwa’s dance choreography, and since the 3rd album onwards he has also developed his skills as a producer. He took on the role of producer for Shinhwa’s 10th anniversary concert last year.

“When we were preparing for the 10th anniversary concert, Eric said to me ‘The leader on stage is you’, and that gave me a greater sense of responsibility to work harder on the preparations for the concert.”

Lee Minwoo feels great pride for being a part of Shinhwa. “Though I don’t know how much longer we can stay active officially as Shinhwa, but the fact that we are Shinhwa will never change. I want to go on as Shinhwa together with the members until the end.”

The Young Man Lee Minwoo, The Youngest Child and The Filial Son

Not ‘M’, and not ‘Shinhwa’, Lee Minwoo is just an ordinary young man off the stage, the youngest child who will always love to behave like a child in front of his parents.

“I was the youngest child who was born in a country home, and I led a simple life. But I seemed to be a kid with a lot of dreams.” After coming into contact with dance, he found his path in life.

He enrolled into an arts school because he loved to dance. Since then, he has been earning his own keep. Prize winnings from dance competitions were his living expenses, and he was able to become financially independent. He smiled and quipped, “My ‘little old man’ side probably started from then.”

“Now I’m living together with my parents, back then I just wanted to quickly make some money so that my whole family can live together.” Lee Minwoo has very strong bonds with his family and parents, and living apart from his family during his high school days seemed to have left a lasting effect on him.

Lee Minwoo is a especially filial young man who always thinks of his parents. “My parents are timid folks, and there are many things that they want to do but haven’t been able to do yet. Though I didn’t know that when I was young, but as I grew up I could see it very clearly. My heart really hurts whenever that happens.”

“Although I’m already 30, I hope that I’m still the adorable maknae (youngest child) to my father and mother.”

Credits: SPN + Sumi@absolutshinhwa

No comments: