Sunday, July 05, 2009

[09.07.05] M’s Newsen interview Pt 3/3: Grooming “the 2nd Shinhwa”; role model is Yang Hyun Suk



Together with his Vol 4.5 album titled ‘Minnovation’, M Lee Minwoo is back for his fans. Just like the title of the album, coined from his name and ‘innovation’, ‘Minnovation’ presents his unique ‘color’ and fully demonstrates his revolutionary spirit.

Lee Minwoo made his debut in 1998 with the idol group Shinhwa (Eric, Lee Minwoo, Kim Dongwan, Shin Hyesung, Junjin, Andy), and has unknowingly moved into his 11th year as a singer. “Everything still seems so surreal. Even when we (the members) meet up these days, we’re still talking about things that happened during our debut days. Only when we look at information sheets or records kept by fans, at the number of songs we have and the number of albums we’ve released, that’s when we feel a sense of realism about our group’s longevity. The members have all stayed the same from the time we were just trainees until now. Although there have been many rumors of the group splitting up, we’re still the same as before. Because we always respond to rumors very quickly, we show an unusually strong sense of support among ourselves. Though we can’t go on with group activities due to our military duties, but I hope everyone will be looking forward to our activities in future.”

Lee Minwoo says that the Shinhwa love is special. Seeing one other going about solo activities is as though they are all there in person. “When we’re all on stage, I can’t see myself but I can see the other 5 guys when I look around me, isn’t it? It’s like I’m reminded of them. Especially when we’re on stage and we exchange glances with each other, as if to say “we’ve gone through so much to come out here, and we’ve worked so hard to get this far”. It’s really great just thinking about it.”

Lately, Lee Minwoo has even moved into the F&B business after starting his line of caps and fashion apparel. “These are all things that I like to do, but my favourite, and what’s closest to my heart, it has to be fashion.”

After starting his various businesses, Lee Minwoo is now ready to realise his long-cherished dream of “grooming the successors”. “I’ve always hope to groom a ‘2nd Shinhwa’, because I started as Shinhwa, and I want to live forever as Shinhwa. My ultimate goal is to groom a group that reminds people of Shinhwa.”

“As time passes, trends continue to change, and it’s necessary to continuously search for the key to popularity. My Shinhwa dream isn’t to create a group exactly like Shinhwa, but it’s to groom a group with Shinhwa’s strong teamwork, honesty and strong sense of justice. It will be a group that moves with the times; is always be loved by people; and is always able to stay ahead of the trend.”

Lee Minwoo also hopes to be the 2nd generation of producers after YG Entertainment’s Yang Hyun Suk and JYP Entertainment’s Park Jin Young. “I spent my 20s in spectacular fashion, and I want to work on my career and vision in my 30s and 40s. Although when I was young I dreamt of being a rich man without knowing the true value of money, I’m no longer hung up over that. Instead peace of mind is what I’m looking for. In future I hope to become a producer who’s able to introduce teams to the music scene under my label.”

He particularly brings up Yang Hyun Suk, whom he views as his role model. “He’s someone that I’ve respected since I was young. Not only is he known for as a top singer with Seo Taiji & Boys, his name alone is a representation of extraordinary abilities. Though he has yet to show fully what he’s capable of, but it’s obvious just based on the artistes that Hyun Suk hyung has introduced. You can feel his force, yet at the same time behind that cool-headedness he has a childlike purity about him. I really hope to be someone like that.”

To achieve this, Lee Minwoo humbly expresses that he has to continue striving harder in order to find his own distinct, unique ‘color’. “Living with integrity and diligently is the answer. To be ahead of others, the only way is to always keep on working hard.”

From his tough determination, we can feel his burning passion. M – as a bearer of that passion – will exist forever as the ‘Minnovation’ of the music industry.

Credits: Newsen + Su-mi@absolutshinhwa

No comments: