Thursday, July 09, 2009

[09.07.09] Lee Minwoo: I make sure that I don’t get confined to being an idol

Although I’ve see many idol-turned-solo singers, but I haven’t met any singer like Shinhwa’s Lee Minwoo, who’s always challenging himself and who works hard on his activities with passion. In terms of albums and concerts, he has gained a reputation for always pushing himself beyond his own boundaries.

It could be because he started out as an idol group member, and in order to not let prejudice get int the way and let people think that he knows nothing else but dance, he has worked hard on vocal training and he writes his own songs and lyrics. His four solo albums are a testament of his hard work and passion. 9 months after his previous album, he has just released his Vol 4.5 mini-album ‘Minnovation’, and he summarizes everything in a simple phrase, “I produced this wholeheartedly with great effort.”

“I wanted to improve on the unsatisfactory areas of the 4th album with this album. I’ve already been in the music industry for 11 years, but to create a value for the brand of M, I work with the mindset from the time I started out, and that’s how I can have confidence.”

The album jacket of the album increases one’s purchase impulse. If you want to slowly appreciate the 6 songs in the album, which is sturdy as its DVD packaging, you might just fall into the temptation of buying the album on the spot. “The packaging was imported from the Netherlands, and I invited songwriters from the US to enhance the sound of the album.” Perhaps of the exquisite packaging, all 18,000 copies of the limited edition album have been sold out within a week.

“I was panicking a little during the production of this album. I felt afraid because I couldn’t grasp the direction of the music. So I took a trip to Busan to take a break, and after the break I was re-energized and came back to life like a robot.”

The new album lets people feel his changing style. Adding a hip-hop rhythm into a 8-beat electronica track for the title track ‘Minnovation’, the appropriately titled ‘Summer Time’ for this season and the other songs all have a certain groove. “I’m focusing more on how to combine the M style with the popular trends. I want people to discard the idea that this is a run-of-the-mill album.”

Often researching the songs on the Billboard charts and developing his own musical style, Lee Minwoo understands trends but does not follow them blindly. This is the M Style. “I used to run after songwriters and beg them for songs, but these days I’m asking them what styles are popular these days.” The best place to experience his passion for music is none other than the stage. His firm vocals, natural stage presence and an expensive stage setup, come along with his hard work and sweat.

“I don’t want to be a trendsetter, I just want to show my side as a musician with a good sense. I’m always thinking that I’m standing at the edge of a cliff, because I don’t know when I’ll fall so I’ll work even harder not to fall.”

Credits: Munhwa + Su-mi@absolutshinhwa

No comments: