Wednesday, November 12, 2008

[08.11.11][trans] Singer, producer, entrepreneur, actor... M Lee Minwoo's way of life


M Lee Minwoo - in the midst of his promotional activities for his 4th solo album - says, "I produce albums for the stage."

This man, has too many things that he wants to offer to the audiences. He's a singer, composer, lyricist, producer, actor and entrepreneur. Coming from the group Shinhwa, M Lee Minwoo (29) has taken a different path from most other artistes who also came from idol groups.

Lee Minwoo has just released his 4th solo album M RIZING, which is also the name of his company - a clear show of his faith in his brand.

Although he was personally in charge of the production of the album, but compared to his first 3 albums, the proportion of his self-penned tracks is much lower. Lee Hyun Do, Brave Brother, Lee Young Joon and other songwriters have participated on the album, making the album more varied in style and genres. The lyrics are still largely written by Lee Minwoo himself, with lyrics for 8 of the songs on the album penned by him.

"I experimented quite a bit, and I think the mix and match process went quite well. You can treat it as an album where I'm searching for M Lee Minwoo's concept. I want to try out different genres of music."

The title track "Don't Trust Men" is written by Brave Brother, who also wrote hits like Big Bang's "Last Farewell", Taeyang's "Look Only At Me", Brown Eyed Girls' "How Come" and Son Dambi's "Crazy".

You're too good to give to someone else
But you're someone I don't want to keep
I don't want to marry you, but I do want to date you
This is how men are, I'm a bad man
Don't trust such a cowardly man

"Don't Trust Men" is almost like an extension of the story related by Taeyang's "Look Only At Me". Although the familiar storyline is easy for fans to understand, but unfortunately Taeyang's song was a hit, and "Don't Trust Men" easily gets criticized for its "lack of creativity".

"The sound is indeed similar, and the content of the song is an extension of Taeyang's song. But I didn't choose this song to be the title track because Taeyang's song was a hit. I've always like the Dirty South sound, and that is well liked by most of the audience too. Just based on this, I was very happy to use it as my title track."

It seems that the number of male fans has increased for him since he released the song. He jokes, "Surprisingly there are many guys who can identify with the lyrics of the song." At his September concert, there were more male fans than usually seen at his concerts.

"The fans are more varied now, and it's great to see that. At my concert I saw not only Asian fans, but fans from the US and Europe too, from Canada and France. By virtue of my background as an idol group member, I have a large female fanbase, but as I release more albums, the demographic range of my fans has widened, and that's what I hope to see."




A self-proclaimed concert fanatic, Lee Minwoo is known for his visually and aurally spectacular concerts. He himself has a great passion for concerts, and can easily command thousands of fans to his performances. In order to have closer interaction with his fans, he has also held concerts in clubs. For this album he came up with a brand new concept for his concert.

" "Masquerade" was a song that I came up with after watching the movie Eyes Wide Shut. I was thinking that I could have a stage set that resembled a masquerade ball for this song, and follow up with the swing track "Wink Show". Prior to this I have never done any swing-style tracks, and in future this can be used together with a jazz/swing set. For "My Space (M's Epilogue)", I thought of placing a piano on the stage and turning the whole stage into a stage that's only mine, and that's why I decided to include it in the album."

Lee Minwoo is clearly glad that he can present different kinds of stage settings.

"In short, I thought of a stage along the lines of M Show. I often hear people saying that they won't scrooge on the ticket prices, and that's a compliment that makes me very happy. For this album, I will say that it's a performance album with lots of variety, and an album produced just for concerts."

Lee Minwoo will be holding a concert on 17 and 18 Dec in Tokyo, followed by another concert in Seoul on 31 Dec at Yonsei University.


Source: nocutnews
Chi trans: jojoyu7@shinhwachina
Eng trans: midnightgirl13@shinhwabiz

No comments: