Wednesday, November 19, 2008

[08.11.18][news] Lee Minwoo: We won't falter because of the trust between the members

Idol group Shinhwa, who made their debut in 1998, is different from other groups of that era. It's the only group that is still active now. While other idol groups have all disbanded, Shinhwa hasn't changed despite the change of management company and the changing environment. They have come this far because of the strong bonds of friendship that exists between the members.

Shinhwa member Lee Minwoo has achieved success as part of Shinhwa and also as a solo act, being involved in music, producing, songwriting, and even as an entrepreneur.

We revisit Shinhwa's 10-year history through an interview with him.


- Made their debut in 1998 as an idol group.

"At that time we were more commonly called dance groups than idol groups, but somehow fans started calling us an idol group. To me, it doesn't sound bad at all, and in fact it feels that the personalities of the members are even more preserved this way."


- Does the term 'idol' bring about any prejudice or predefined notions?

"There is the view that music from idols are all the same. This actually came about as a result of systems created by management companies. But on the other hand, it also created pop music for the masses. Idols can successfully break that mould, if they can create their own stage styles, or achieve success in another field through their own efforts."


- Did you work hard so that you could break free of the idol group mould and get rid of the 'idol' label?

"Since 1999 I knew that I had a passion for music, so I wanted to try my hand at making my own music. So with the 300,000 won I got from our first album, I used 100,000 won to buy music samples and equipment, and while the members were sleeping I spent that time trying to write music and work with the equipment. I got complaints from the neighbours too."

"Since I started making music, I've always wanted to design the stage myself, and I also gave it a try."


- When you released your solo albums, it seemed that it was tough to break free from the 'idol' label.

"It was, and I wanted to change that even more. It only made me want to write more songs and work harder. I once put my equipment on sale on a secondhand goods website, and the buyer asked if Lee Minwoo really wrote his own music with it. I was quite surprised."


- What is the secret behind Shinhwa being able to stay together even after such a long time?

"When we first made our debut, Shinhwa was competing with the likes of H.O.T, Sechskies and G.O.D. When we saw these groups disband one by one, we were very nervous too, so we told each other over and over again, "Don't falter". Because of the friendship and trust between us that we have accumulated over the years, we are able to come this far. Before our debut, I received an offer to go solo, but I rejected it because I didn't want to lose the members. At that time our manager always said to us, "When the coordinator brings your clothes, don't pick out your own, always help to make recommendations to each other." We often chat for a good 2 hours before going to bed too."


- How do you feel about the idol groups of today?

"I think that they have more talent than we did back then. But the most important thing is your original intentions and passion that you started out with. The advice that I want to give them is, it's crucial for the members to encourage each other, and they have to be constantly thinking of how to change in order to stay ahead of the game."


Source: munhwa ilbo & dacapo
Chi trans: jojoyu7@shinhwachina
Eng trans: midnightgirl13@shinhwabiz

No comments: