Wednesday, December 03, 2008

[08.12.02][news] Lee Minwoo was threatened by triads over debts

Singer M Lee Minwoo shared a secret that he has been keeping to himself in an interview with Sports Hankook.

"Although people think that celebrities lead very glamorous lives, but we too have secrets that we want to keep. To me, the biggest secret I wanted to keep is about money problems."

"One of my family members chalked up a huge amount of debt due to several business failures. I took responsbility for the debts, and I couldn't concentrate fully on promoting my album. I wanted to hide it from everyone because I feel really bad about it."

After releasing his 4th album M RIZING in September, Lee Minwoo started on promoting the title track Don't Trust Men. After that he took a month's break before starting work on his follow-up track. As Lee Minwoo had to repay the debts on behalf of his family member, he couldn't put his full attention on his promotional activities.

He had also been threatened by triads over the debts before. The triad members told him that entertainers make a lot of money, and they kept up with their threats. Although he was facing a crisis, he chose to hide it from everyone, even his fellow Shinhwa members. Instead, he continued to go on stage wearing a smile on his face.

He said, "My family is always my first priority, they're the reason why I'm alive. No matter how bad financial problems can get, I can resolve them by working hard. My family can't be replaced by anyone or anything else."

"My fans have been waiting for me while I was trying to manage these problems, and I will work even harder on my activities."


Source: Sports Hankook
Chi trans: jojoyu7@shinhwachina
Eng trans: midnightgirl13@shinhwabiz

2 comments:

gsuk said...

I hate it when people do a lot of stupid things and have others take care of it for them. I mean, family is important and everything, but making Minwoo do that is really pushing it.

Flor said...

so true, i just these kind of people will get their dose of medicine someday :(