Sunday, May 11, 2008

[08.05.07][news] Kim Dongwan - Part of a legend, and becoming a star


Making their debut in 1998 with their 1st album Hae Gyul Sah, the 6 guys that make up Shinhwa had already received comments of being a H.O.T rip-off - because both were idol dance groups that had similar styles.

10 years on, the "rip-off" Shinhwa has gone to become the legend of the gayo world. In the unpredictable and everchanging entertainment world, Shinhwa has stayed at the top of the game for 10 years. Even now in May 2008 they continue to shine, with the members being "separate yet together" and becoming 6 stars with their own activities.

Among them is Kim Dongwan, who has received recognition both as a singer and as an actor. Scheduled to enlist into the army later this year, he has released his 2nd solo album, which is also his last album before enlistment.



"The last album before enlistment? Only my preparation and mental state is different! A few days ago, I performed my title track "Bi Mil" (Secret) for the first time on a cable programme and I don't know why I was so nervous. Honestly speaking I couldn't sleep because it was going to be broadcast, and I couldn't sleep until 7am. (laughs)"

Having been in the industry for 10 years, Kim Dongwan speaks as though he's still a rookie. He has a totally different approach towards his 2nd album activities. If his first album was the cue for him to get on the solo stage, then his 2nd album is a ready Kim Dongwan already standing on the solo stage.



Though he feels that the promotional activities for Handkerchief were successful, he concedes that his own shortcomings prevented him from truly expressing the feel of the song. For the 2nd album he says, "I want to be able to satisfy myself and the fans." Humble words from someone who's already at the peak.

"I wasn't able to give many live performances, and everytime I got on stage I was a bag of nerves. But now I'm comfortable with the stage I stand on and the songs I sing. Fans get to see me for the short 3-4 minutes on stage, and that makes me happier than anything else."

Kim Dongwan is finally enjoying the solo stage, and he will, before he heads for the army.





Source: Star News
Chi trans: 韩小国 @ BESTSHINHWA
Eng trans: midnightgirl13@shinhwabiz

No comments: