Sunday, May 11, 2008

[08.05.09][news] Kim Dongwan on his 2nd album... Part 1


We asked Kim Dongwan to assume the identity of a critic and give an objective review of his 2nd solo album. He obliged and shared with us the pluses and minuses of the album.

He started with a short introduction: "You can see the intention to make an improvement in terms of music and it seems that there is a wider variety of the genres of music on the 2nd album. The first song "A Man's Love" is reminiscent of Bon Jovi's "Always", where the rhythm, drums, bass and guitar blends together very well."

Kim Dongwan also re-arranged Kim Hyun Chul's hit "Wae Keurae" and invited gospel group Heritage to feature on the track; Honey is a track that suits the summer season with the jangly guitars, and featuring Eric on rap. The album also includes a pop-rock styled track very suited to Kim Dongwan's voice titled "Song Of The Wind".

He tells us frankly, "I try to neutralize the flaws in my voice with a unique singing style. And juniors like Big Bang, Epik High have all recently experimented with the electronica genre, and I was inspired by them. I've been singing for 10 years now, and I can't really catch up with trends. The title track "Bi Mil (Secret)" was written by the team who wrote for Big Bang as well. And I'm a little nervous about the live performances."

Kim Dongwan admits that his vocal flaws are the overuse of vocal techniques and his falsetto which still requires some work. "I'm used to using these popular vocal techniques which can't really complement my voice. Even so, after the many live performances with Shinhwa all these years, I can sense a change in my voice."


Source: JES&oceans
Chi trans: jojoyu7@shinhwachina
Eng trans: midnightgirl13@shinhwabiz

No comments: