Sunday, May 25, 2008

[08.05.20] [news] Kim Dong Wan, "I found my color as a singer..."

Kim Dong Wan, "I found my color as a singer by singing to the point of bursting my vocal chords."

For this last album prior to entering army service, he sacrificed his body.

Kim Dong Wan is indeed youthful. This youthfulness sustains him in the idol group Shinhwa and allowed him to relase two solo albums.

He built himself on positive thinking and had confidence to pursue both acting and singing. Kim Dong Wan will enter army service this fall. On the 8th, his last album before entering service "The Secret" was released. Smiling brightly, he shared that, "has no regrets."



He pours another drink. He no longer has regrets now and likes how things are now. This kind of positive thinking is one of the charms of Kim Dong Wan.

"This year marks the 10 years since his debut," said Kim Dong Wan. In 1998, with the first album "Hye Guhl Sa" Shinhwa started. They ended up releasing 9 albums. Their songs became hits in China, Japan and other Asian countries. Having numerious performances in these countries seem to prove their popularity.

Without the strong friendship and cohesiveness among the members, they couldn't have come this far. However, Shinhwa were juniors to the other esteemed group Choi Jang Soo's idol group until they set the milestone this year (as the longest running idol group). Reaching this point, Kim Dong Wan along with the rest the members were on an emtional high.


While still doing activities with Shinhwa, he debuted as an actor. He was in KBS' 2TV "Goodbye to Sadness" and SBS's "The Person I love". In 2005, he won the KBS' best actor award which showed his ability as an actor. Receiving recognition as an actor, now he sought to prove himself as a (solo) singer.

On the 8th, on Parent's Day, released his second solo album. On June 1st last year, he released "Handkerchief" only 11 months ago.

"During the promotions for "Handkerchief", I presented myself in adequately so I had a lot of regrets. However, at that time, I wanted show everyone what I wanted to do and tried everything to make that possible. I usually rest my vocal chords. However, I kept singing and recording without letting my vocal chords rest...my voice started to come out. I realized that the hidden voice within had come out that I had found my color as a singer."

With the first album being his debut, he felt uneasiness. However, this time around there was a different struggle. Holding steady to his confidence that he had, he sought to find what would be color as a solo artist. (What would be known as Kim Dong Wan's music?) A lot of band music went into the second album as well as a masculine feel which is associated with Kim Dong Wan. Featuring light electronic melody in the title song "Secret" along with "The Person I Love" and "Good Person". They all have band music feel to them.

"I put a lot of effort into illicit an acoustic feel to the songs. Even though it's masculine, I tried to keep a soft feel to the music. Thus, in the second album, I would think you will get a good feel of what Kim Dong Wan's style is. Many hours went into making the album. I didn't rush to put together the album. Until the satisfactory music came out, I kept recording giving it much thought and was in agony."


With many dreams, young Kim Dong Wan the future is clear. After serving in the army, the thing that he wants to do the most is to continue to do activities with Shinhwa but also dreams of pursuing acting. Also, he would like to release a book of his photos and essays that he personally puts together.

"In my 20's, I lived only as an artist. Due to that, my acting was on hold at times. The army life will serve as a good opportunity for me. I do wonder after I complete my army service if I can continue to pursue acting."

Kim Dong Wan likes the pictures he has taken more than those taken by others. Always carrying around a camera, the puts the landscape and people into the lense. Even during the interview, saying that it's a gift that he received from fans, he kept pushing down on the camera's shutter.

"After I return from serving in the army, I will be in my 30's. I would like to publish a photo essay book. Looking back at life. You know, a light, informative and pratical one. I want to go to Japan to learn Japanese. There will be so much to do in the future."

Source: My Daily
Englishg Translation: HappyHeart7@shinhwabiz

No comments: