Sunday, May 25, 2008

[08.05.22][trans] Moving forward towards the next 10 years - Junjin


Junjin and his first solo album New Decade.

"This is my first official solo album." After releasing his single album "Love Doesn't Come" in November 2006, Junjin has just released his new album "Junjin New Decade" after 1 year and 5 months.

For 10 years, Junjin has been active as a Shinhwa member. "With Shinhwa activities, appearances on variety shows, acting and our own overseas activities on my schedule, it wasn't easy to release my own solo album." The title of the new album New Decade, as Junjin says, signifies that he will present a new image as a solo artiste in the next 10 years.


Varied Genres
Junjin's new album features tracks of different genres, including house, ballads, mid-tempo. Through the one year of preparing for the album, more than 250 songs were collated, out of which 11 were chosen for the album. "The composers all worked very hard. Every song on the album would do just fine as the title track, but because all the songs are great, I'm feeling the pressure although it's just the first album."

But the track that's attracting the most attention would be WA, which is Junjin's first attempt at an electronic dance track. The repetitive chorus is as highly addictive as it is powerful, and he tops it off with a sexy dance choreography, which displays both strong and adorable images all at once. It's a song that fans would be able to sing along to easily.

"When I was promoting Love Doesn't Come, I wanted to show that I could sing thus the choice of a ballad. But fans also like to see me dance the way I do as part of Shinhwa, so I chose this song. The feel just hit me the moment I heard the song.

As we carried on talking, I realised that Junjin's voice sounded rougher than I thought. It's not because he deliberately made it that way, but it's a result of performing the dance song live on stage. "I practised a lot for this album. If the place wasn't appropriate for me to practise I would take the car to somewhere quiet and sing out loud. Now I'm confident about singing a dance track live. I guess I have the practise to thank for the slight roughness in my voice now. I like it very much."

Album Activities All In
Junjin was balancing his variety show appearances and his overseas activities at the same time, and he received negative comments that his promotional activities were not well planned.

"I had my first solo concert in Japan when the album was released. At that time I felt that I'm really meant for the stage. It's the same for the other Shinhwa members too, and we really enjoy hearing the fans cheering us on, it's a feeling I treasure very much. When I was promoting Love Doesn't Come, I had pneumonia for a month and I wasn't able to give my best performance. That's why I hope to work hard and do well fo this album."

Junjin will not shy away from variety shows either. If it will help the album, he would make time for it, no matter how much time is required. Compared to a period of time in the past when he avoided variety shows because he hated having to force himself to smile, it's a big change on his part.

On another note, he is also preparing for a concert for the Korean fans, which is likely to happen in August after he returns from his promotions in China, Thailand, Hongkong and Malaysia.

Source: dacapo
Chi trans: julias@bestshinhwa
Eng trans: midnightgirl13@shinhwabiz

No comments: