Sunday, May 18, 2008

[08.05.17][trans] Kim Dongwan: It's Andy's era now

We often see "thanks to" messages in albums, where singers express their gratitude to the people who've helped them in the production of the album. These people would usually be staff members from the management agency, recording crew, fellow artistes who feature on the album etc.



However on Kim Dongwan's album, the messages are dedicated to everyone who has ever helped him along the way throughout his career, right from SM Entertainment's Lee Soo Man and all the producers and managers that he has worked with through the years. Even now, he still sends his greetings to Lee Soo Man on festive occasions. No matter what the circumstances were when he left the company, he makes it a point to express his gratitude to everyone that has helped him before. We meet with happy guy Kim Dongwan, who has just returned with his 2nd solo album, The Secret. Although he selected a ballad as the title track for his 1st album, this time round he has gone for an electronica track. He tells us that he is still looking for his own unique features as a singer.

Rivalry between the Shinhwa members? It's Andy's era now

Q: Last year you competed with Lee Minwoo and Shin Hyesung, and this year it's against Junjin and Andy.

DW: Andy's really popular now, it's not going to be an easy battle (laughs). When I started work on the 2nd album I was still rather confident, but looking at Andy's popularity now, it's really no laughing matter. It's Andy's era now.

Q: The other members are all very active overseas.

DW: Regarding overseas activities, I'll think more aout it when I'm done with military service. I'm considering Japan for now.

Q: It's Shinhwa's 10th anniversary this year, but there haven't been any activities other than the concert. Don't you feel it's a pity?

DW: It is, but the members all have their work schedules lined up, so it's very difficult to coordinate all our schedules.

Q: Would you say that's why you're concentrating more on your 2nd solo album instead of Shinhwa's 9th album?

DW: In a way, yes. But rather than to say that there was no effort for Shinhwa's 9th album, it might be more appropriate to say that since there was no way for us to have group activities even though we released our album, the only choice was for me to concentrate on my album.

Q: Before Shinhwa made their debut, I heard that you once thought of forming a group called BOB with MC Mong and Seo In Chang.

DW: I did, but I was thinking if we would disappear into anonymity after releasing 1 or 2 albums. That's because our concept was to be a comic group, so I don't suppose we would have lasted long. At that point in time, UP and DJ DOC were really popular and comic songs were pretty popular.

Q: Would a solo debut have been better?

DW: Probably not. Shinhwa was really the right choice.


Money? I've earned enough to get married, but I'd like to use it for investment.

Q: You're enlisting for military service this year?

DW: I can't be thinking of starting any acting projects now. During the army stint, I don't want to do anything and I just want time for myself. I'd like to spend that period of time doing things unrelated to the entertainment world.

Q: It hasn't been easy to get through the past 10 years, have you thought of taking a break?

DW: Not exactly retirement, but I've thought of going on a hiatus for 4-5 years. I've given my all, and there isn't anything much I can offer to everyone.

Q: Have you earned a lot of money?

DW: It's enough for me to get married, but I'm thinking of investing it. I'm thinking of using the money to study overseas or just for the things that I want to do.

Q: When you return from military service, would you rather focus on singing or acting?

DW: Probably acting.

Q: What kind of actor do you hope to become?

DW: I hope to be able to make viewers feel that no one else but me could portray those roles.

Q: Don't you have a girlfriend?

DW: No, but if I did, I'd want to get married now. I'm thinking a lot about getting married, cooking and doing chores these days. If I'm married, I wouldn't be staying out so often.

Q: The type of girls that you like would be those who would make a good wife and mother?

DW: In a way. I like chubbier girls, not the sexy and slim ones. Though I used to like sexy and slim girls when I was younger, but not anymore.


Practising until I hurt my voice, that's when I feel that I found my unique vocal feature.

Q: No one expected you to release a dance track instead of a ballad for your title track.

DW: I'm more confident about ballads, but since I'm a pop singer I have to consider the preferences of the mass audience.

Q: You seem to have a different composer for each song. Is there a set of criteria you have when you collect songs for your album?

DW: Nothing in particular, but I'm more skewed towards songs that can be played together with a band set-up. I had many composers of different genres participating in the album.

Q: Did you have a lot of vocal practice?

DW: I was very concerned with protecting my voice for the 1st album, so I sang within my limits. But this time round I wanted to practise until I hurt my voice. In the end I didn't hurt it but I find that I have found my unique vocal feature. And now I have a wider vocal range.

Q: You do want to continue singing right?

DW: I'm a little more confident about it now. During the 1st album I thought "what if this doesn't succeed", but I don't worry about that anymore.

Q: I heard that you were very emotional during the release of your 1st album. How about your 2nd album?

DW: I was really an emotional wreck during the 1st album. But I'm not like that anymore, I'm more nervous about if I can do it well.

Q: What were you most troubled with during the production of the album?

DW: During the production there wasn't much to be stressed about, but I was quite troubled when it came down to selecting the title track.

Q: There must be some pressure to succeed since it's your last album before you head for military service.

DW: I didn't want to panic about anything, I felt that the more I panicked the worse it would be.

Q: Your thoughts and hopes for the 2nd album and your activities?

DW: I hope to be able to have more performances. I was too nervous and emotional during the 1st album and I couldn't perform much. In future I'd like to be able to meet the fans through more performances.


Source: donga&oceans
Chi trans: jojoyu7@shinhwachina
Eng trans: midnightgirl13@shinhwabiz

No comments: