Sunday, May 25, 2008

[08.05.21][trans] Anan Jun 08 - Fly, Andy, Fly - part 1

There's a sparkling star who lives just next door. A nice young man who is great at making kimchi and cold dishes. He smiles like the little brother, but he has already become the 28 year old star who hails from Shinhwa.

There is a young man who became part of a legend since he was 18. He lives in a world that is bright for 365 days of the year. Even throughout his confused teenage years, his unhappy twenties, the sparkling star continues living in this world of bright days.

Andy Lee Seon Ho. He could have become part of H.O.T. He passed the auditions at 14 and was supposed to join H.O.T, but despite his hard work, he had to return to the US due to parental objection. In 1996, he became part of Shinhwa after another round of auditions. Shinhwa has spent the last 10 years together as a group, and the group has truly become a legend now.

The youngest of the group, the 28-year-old says to us every Sunday "We Got Married!". We can see that he does want to get married. The viewers who tune in to the programme every week all acknowledge with a smile, "Our Andy has grown into such a fine young man." Making kimchi, and applying beauty masks, it is strange to see him do things like that, but it is endearing. A goodlooking guy who can cook well, and mature at the same time. Although she's only his reel life wife, but he ran out in the rain to get coffee for her when she wanted some, making us exclaim in awe of the sweet romantic guy.

On a warm summer day, we meet as per arranged. The young man who sings and dances the heart dance on television is wearing shades right now. All his answers are truthfully honest. He greets me politely and though he has an endearing smile, he's a star. And though he's drinking iced coffee with me, he's Shinhwa. It has been this way for him for the past 10 years, for most of his twenties. I can only temporarily forget that he's a star who lives next door.


We Are Shinhwa

"There was a festival when I was in high school, where students from each country had to perform songs from their native lands. I took part because I heard that it was quite a large scale event , and I was curious about what students from the other countries were going to perform. The great response that I received when I stood on the stage made me think, that it would be really great to be a singer."

That was the first time he was approached to be an entertainer. Andy's performance was spotted by the organizer of the event, and just like that, 14-year-old Andy was selected to be a H.O.T member, and subsequently became part of Shinhwa instead. Of course his parents objected, as very few idol groups attained success. "It was the IMF crisis at that point in time, and they were even more against it. We weren't that well off, so I could see why they were against it. They were worried about me entering the entertainment industry at such a young age, whether I would still be able to find a stable job when I leave the industry. In the end they told me to go ahead and do it if I was confident that I wouldn't regret my decision."

Then in 1998, Shinhwa was born. Their first performance was on a KMTV show. "There were a lot of people present, but only 9 were Shinhwa fans and they were holding black colored signs. I still remember them because I was so happy. Then 9 became 90, 90 became 900, and eventually there were 9000. Singers always find it very meaningful to be able to perform their own songs. Just a few months ago at Shinhwa's 10th anniversary concert, Andy introduced himself the way he did in the past, "Cute Guy Andy imnida", followed by the whole group shouting "Urineun Shinhwa imnida!"


(to be continued)

Source: The Six senses & Andy namu / Anan magazine
Chi trans: xing1986111 & 紫夜87 & mao@Andy The World
Eng trans: midnightgirl13@shinhwabiz

No comments: