Sunday, May 18, 2008

[08.05.12][news] Andy: I've had 2 girlfriends...they're both married now



"Don't you like Solbi?"
"Hahaha"

Their conversation starts with Solbi. Andy and Solbi play a newlywed couple in MBC's We Got Married, and more and more viewers are starting to hope that they will become an item in real life too. Friends of Andy are all saying that they want to "matchmake" the two of them. In response to DJ Choi Hwa Jung saying "Just date Solbi and see how it goes", Andy laughs.

Shinhwa's Andy, becoming a solo singer for the first time in 10 years with "Love Song". At the same time, his popularity has soared due to his appearances on variety shows. After appearing in dramas he is also being recognized as a musical actor. DJ Choi Hwa Jung meets Andy at a cafe in Gangnam on a sunny May afternoon for a chat.


"If Solbi possesses the qualities that I'm looking for in a girl, then I'll date here."

CHJ: Let's talk a little more about this. Do you like Solbi, or you don't?

Andy: No particular special feelings

CHJ: You two look compatible.... Don't you find her cute? She has an enthusiastic side but she has her quiet side too. How did you find Solbi the first time you met her?

Andy: I was quite nervous during our first filming session. Solbi wears her heart on her sleeve, and I was thinking of how I should act in order not to hurt her in any way. But as I got to know her better I realised that she's quite a smart person.

CHJ: Solbi likes Andy the best in Shinhwa.

Andy: Ah no, that's not true. It should be Eric hyung. She always ends her sentences with "Eric oppa". Everything she starts talking about Eric hyung I just feel like dying.

CHJ: Even if that's the case, you'd eventually have some feelings for each other given that you keep seeing each other. Haven't you ever felt anything for Solbi at all?

Andy: ... I have.

CHJ: Solbi said before that "If Andy oppa is ok with it, I'd really want to date him". What do you say to this?

Andy: She's kidding... Although I don't know how my heart will change in the future, but at the moment we're still getting to know each other better

CHJ: Don't you have the intention to date during the process of knowing each other better?

Andy: If Solbi possesses the qualities I look for in a girl, I would want to. I'm quite conservative, so I don't like girls to drink. And she must be able to take care of the people around her. I can't say definitely what's the type I'm looking for.


"I can't have a girl paying."

CHJ: The Shinhwa members haven't really had any scandals before. Although you can say that's a good thing, but isn't it a little boring?

Andy: I'm not exactly popular. Although I attend birthday parties or gatherings, but I don't really talk to girls or sing in front of the guests. Although I'd like to start conversations with the girls, I just can't do it.

CHJ: Then you can't even say hello to the girl you like? Is there a reason why you can't chat girls up?

Andy: Before Shinhwa's 2nd jib I still took the subway wherever I went. One day I met a girl I really like, and I picked up my courage, walked over and said hello, but the girl just ran off! Although I wanted to catch up with her, I didn't.

CHJ: You should have just went after her

Andy: If you want to describe my personality, I'm someone who'd watch TV at home, if I see a really pretty female celeb I'd think to myself 'wow she's really pretty, I'd really like to date her'. But then again, the girl might end up being involved in a scandal with someone else, then I'd end up moping at home eating and drinking soju by myself.

CHJ: Then haven't you had any girlfriends before?

Andy: Two, one before my debut and one after my debut. But both them are already married now.

CHJ: Did they share any similiarities?

Andy: They were the type to take the initiative in everything they do. I always felt that girls who work hard at what they do are the most beautiful.

CHJ: During the times when you were dating, were there any moments when you didn't have enough money?

Andy: I can't have girls paying up. When Shinhwa was just starting out I wasn't really familiar with branded labels. There was one day we were at this branded boutique and I thought the item cost about 100,000won so I wanted to get it for her, but then I realised it was much more than that. I got a shock and I had to borrow a charge card from our manager, and the company card at that.

CHJ: Shinhwa members used to go to clubs together. I heard that only you didn't get recognized.

Andy: That was during the 5th jib. I wasn't part of the 4th jib, so when we did the shoot for the 5th jib we just went together. But I was the only one who didn't get recognized, in fact I was even mistaken for the club manager. In the end I just sat there and finished the drinks by myself.



"A normal, shy student."

CHJ: How did you get discovered for Shinhwa?

Andy: I was just a regular kid when I was in school. In the US, when our school had special events, me and Tony hyung would perform these impersonations of foreign singers. That's how I got discovered.

CHJ: Were you a very cautious person then?

Andy: Yes, very cautious. Very shy, very uncomfortable around strangers.

CHJ: I heard you were supposed to be a H.O.T member, what happened?

Andy: My parents were against it then.

CHJ: H.O.T did very well right from their debut, weren't you envious?

Andy: I was. I really envied their success.

CHJ: Did you believe that Shinhwa would make it big?

Andy: No actually. I was very young when we made our debut, not even old enough to drink yet. After our 1st jib, our manager talked to us over drinks, and discussed our future plans if our 2nd jib didn't succeed. But T.O.P and our 2nd jib did very well in the end.


"I was very troubled over the nasty comments about my solo activities."

CHJ: Who's the most handsome out of the Shinhwa members? Do you feel like you've learned a lot from your hyungs?

Andy: Each of them has their good points. Eric hyung's charisma; Minwoo hyung's charisma and showmanship on stage; Dongwan hyung always has interesting things to say; Hyesung hyung has a great voice. Of course they have their flaws too, so I wouldn't pick those up from them (laughs) Jin hyung is very talented and witty.

CHJ: Then what about you would they imitate?

Andy: Aegyo? Hahaha

CHJ: Which member do you get along the best with?

Andy: Eric hyung. We've knew each other since we were studying in the US, it's been 16 years. So we know each other very well.

CHJ: Did your first solo album meet your own definition of success?

Andy: Initially there wasn't much of a response, and I got quite worried. I read on the Internet many comments such as "Why are you releasing an album, just stick to variety show appearances", "Can you really sing?". Although I tried to appear that I was fine, but I really drank a lot of soju by myself at home.

CHJ: But "Love Song" became very popular

Andy: When the song first came out, comments were like "Just look at this" and other negative comments, and I was in a panic. I was troubled by what I should do to improve everyone's opinions.


"As long as she is understanding and can take care of the people around her, ok."

CHJ: What kind of girls do you like?

Andy: Intellectual, and persevering. At the same time she must be understanding and be able to take care of the people around her.

CHJ: Then looks and figures don't matter to you?

Andy: I'd be lying if I said they don't. I'd look at appearances too, but rather than to say that I like pretty girls, I would say I prefer girls who are focused on what they are doing, that makes them attractive.

CHJ: How about me?

Andy: I've been wanting to meet you in person. I heard that you're very close to Dongwan hyung. When I finally got to meet you I was very surprised that you look so young. You don't look like you're 40. Where did you get your injections? (laughs)

CHJ: No I didn't, they don't come this natural. So I'm not pretty?

Andy: I don't know how to say things like that.

CHJ: Haha, you just won't say it. Then, am I prettier, or is Solbi prettier?

Andy: I don't know hahaha


They had a very pleasant conversation. The usually shy and reticent Andy opened up to Choi Hwa Jung and shared his innermost thoughts. Even Andy's manager said, "It's the first time I've seen him say this much."


After meeting Andy...

There tends to be a lot of prejudices towards celebrities, especially idol celebrities. In actual fact there are some celebrities with some issues with their characters, but there are many honest and innocent ones too. Andy belongs to the latter category. He doesn't have a hidden private life, and he remains innocent and kind. He took part in the 8 May Father's Day edition of Choi Hwa Jung's Powertime - and on that show, we saw in Andy a filial son, the burden of being the head of the household, and a young man who worries about his parents all the time. Compared to some other idol stars who live the high life and drive fancy cars, Andy shows us a conscientious, honorable side to him.


Source: Sports Donga & Oceans
Chi trans: jojoyu7@shinhwachina
Eng trans: midnightgirl13@shinhwabiz
__________________

1 comment:

aeida said...

am so fallen to this man.his strong personality makes me want to see him.i wonder if he was an celebrities or else.love to see kind hearty like this man...:)